Chapter 12: Prince not so charming

The mysterious prince 'not so charming' and I headed to the back of the house where the main event of burring Kyle would take place and just being there gave me goosebumps. Luckily though we headed a bit further from the scene and into the forest opposite the house, benches and bins lined the pathway leading to a little pond with fish of different colours swimming around the clear pond.  

It was a beautiful place, a place I envy to be at every single second I'm free. I could just imagine sitting by the bench not far from the pond reading a book with my headphones in and listening to Bon Iver-Roslyn on repeat, the absolute bliss I would be in. 

"It's beautiful right," prince charming smiled staring at the pond with a faraway look.

"You can say that again," I said sitting by the bench, he didn't follow me but stood over the pond with his hands in his pockets and a scowl on his face. I wondered what was his problem. I left him to ponder while I put some music on and breathed in the fresh air with my head tilted up to the clear sky with my eyes closed. I listened to the birds chirping and the wind gently ruffling the leaves, it was such a peaceful place it made me understand why Lauren wanted to bury Kyle here. 

I slowly opened my eyes to get a shock of prince charming staring at me intently. 

"What?" I asked with my heart racing 

"Nothing, you just looked at peace and I didn't want to disturb you," he shrugged his shoulders before sitting next to me. Looking at him closely it was clear he wasn't at his best with bugs under his eyes and slumped shoulders Kyle was very important to him. He was more on the trapezium muscular body shape that any girl or guy would easily fall for, he looked like he exercised regularly. 

"How close were you with the deceased if you don't mind me asking?" I asked trying to make small talk to stop my agitated body from shaking like a leaf from how close he was to me.

"He was my uncle," he said angrily lacing his fingers and digging his nails into his skin as he sat hunched over staring at the ground. I wasn't sure what to do considering I was the worst at comforting people.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I said feeling like shit for being alive.

"It's fucked up is what it is," he said through gritted teeth

"I know," I said shame evident in my voice

"How do you know him?" He asked turning his eyes to me, how could I possibly answer that without getting beat up. By the look of the guy, he would snap me in half if he found out that I'm the reason his uncle died. 

"Well, to be honest, I'm the reason he's dead," I said trying not to show any emotions, the moment those words left my mouth, prince charming stood up abruptly making me flinch and close my eyes in fear of being hit but nothing came my way. 

"What?" He asked instantly with narrowed eyes.

"He was trying to save my life but the thieves had knives and stabbed him to death," I said opening my eyes slowly to look up at his now confused face.

"Then how the hell is that your fault?" He asked with a raised brow.

"If I wasn't in that ally you would still have an uncle," I sadly said looking down at my feet in shame. He sighed and sat back down not sure what to say to me.

"None of this is your fault, I'm sure he's glad that one of you made it," he gently said grabbing my small hand in his large one and smiling in reassurance and for the first time in a long time. I didn't feel like unwanted hands were crawling all over my body instead I felt a compassionate helping hand from a stranger, and thanks to his kindness the waterworks were released and I was a crying bubbling mess.