Chapter 47

I watched as Mum placed the huge roasted chicken on the table taking her apron off to reveal her ravishing Christmas dinner dress. My Mum, Dad, Amanda, Daniel, my Nana, and I were all having dinner as ‘one big happy family’ (as if).

  “Dig in!” Mum announced as we all reached out for the food. I felt my phone vibrating in my hand. I found one new message from Harry who was now in Holmes Chapel celebrating the holidays with his family.

  ‘I’d give anything to see you in that gorgeous dress right now;)’ the text read. I giggled quietly to myself typing back a reply.

  “Emily” my Mum warned me in a hushed tone “Put your phone away. We’re supposed to be spending time together”

  “I’m talking to Harry” I said, trying to justify yourself.

  “You were with him just yesterday” she huffed at me taking a sip of her wine “It’s not like he’s been away for a year. I’m sure a text can wait” I gave her a glare before I locked my phone and placed it in front of me on the table “Thank you” she said maturely. I just gave her a fake smile and took a long sip of my drink. Her hatred towards Harry was really beginning to get on my last nerve.

  “Now, I have a special announcement to make!” she said waiting for us to quiet down “I’m moving back to London!” we were all silent for a moment before we all erupted into quiet cheers “There’s one more thing!” she said when the doorbell rang “Just in time!” she said giddily going to answer the door. Amanda and I exchanged weird looks. This was bound to be another one of Mum’s twisted up tricks she hid under her sleeve. I took the chance of Mum not being around to text Harry back. I started typing away on my phone with a goofy smile on my face “Emily, what did I tell you about texting Harry in the middle of dinner?” I heard my mother say, quickly losing her patience.

  “I’m sorry, I’ll put it away” I said angrily, pressing the send button before looking back up at my Mum to find an unpleasant surprise standing in front of me “Joseph?” I asked in utter and complete shock.

  “Surprise!” My Mum cheered, placing her hands on Joseph’s shoulders with joy “Joseph’s moving her to be my new assistant!” I could feel my jaw dropping open. Leave it up to Mum to being my picture-perfect ex with her from Paris to London.

  “It’s good to see you again, Emily” he said, breaking the ice.

  “You too” I said breathlessly with so much anger towards Mum. Harry would not be the least bit okay with Joseph spending Christmas with us and my Mum knew that very well.

  “Well have a seat, Joseph darling” my Mum told him, pointing at a seat right beside me “Emily, honey, why don’t you come help me out with dessert in the kitchen?” she asked. I gave one last look to Amanda before I stomped behind my Mum to the kitchen.

  “What the heck do you think you’re doing?” I asked my Mum with rage as soon as we were alone and unheard by the others.

  “What are you talking about?” she asked oh-so-innocently.

  “You know exactly what I’m talking about, God damn it! Don’t you suppose that it’s a bit awkward bringing my ex to spend Christmas with us, especially that I’m in a relationship right now?”

  “Oh please, Emily” she said, taking the soufflé out of the oven “Don’t act like you’re actually serious about this thing with Henry”

  “HARRY” I corrected her a bit too loudly “AND I AM SERIOUS ABOUT THIS, MUM! WHY CAN’T YOU JUST ACCEPT HIM? ACCEPT US?