Chapter 44

“Alright, class” Mrs. Han said, walking around the easels in circles “We’re going to start with the basics today. Our model, Jacob” she said with a hand on a tan boy’s shoulder “will be striking a different pose every 2 minutes. You need to sketch each and every single pose he strikes as precisely as you can. We’re ready when you are, Jacob” she said. He nodded at her with a grin, making a dimple pop out.

  Today was the first day of my figurative drawing class at RCA. I’ve been at this college for about two weeks now and I’m in love with it. My relationship with Harry was going great as well. I brought him home to meet my father and let’s just say that it wasn’t one of my Dad’s favorite evenings. Amanda seemed okay with him which was great. I’d brought him to one of our family dinners with my 15 cousins, 3 aunts, 2 uncles, and grandparents. He was utterly nervous at first, but they all liked him (with the exception of my Dad, of course). My cousin Jack liked him the most. He was only 17 years old and he and Harry got along great. My younger cousins were all shy and my Grandma May adored him. It would have been the perfect dinner if my Dad had put the past behind him like I did. He still held a huge grudge against Harry for the whole cheating thing. We had one more week in London together until he had to jet off to the USA again. He’d return in almost 2 months (57 days to be exact). It was still hard getting used to him being away most of the time, but it was all worth it once we got to see each other again.

  My hand shook as I set up my things on the easel. I had to admit, I was really nervous about today. I wasn’t exactly prepared to draw a full on naked person in 2 minutes. I looked back at Jacob who was standing on the podium in the middle of the room, taking his shirt off. His eyes caught mine as he unzipped his pants and took them off, revealing his groin. I quickly shifted my eyes off him and onto the ground, my face turning bright red receiving many weird looks from people.

  “You may all start now” the teacher said. I took a look at the class; everyone was sketching as if this was a normal routine (well technically, it was since this was an official class I’ll be taking for the next 4 years). I looked back up at Jacob who was now laughing with his eyes directed at me. I glared at him, trying to sketch him.

*

  As soon as the clock ticked 12, I was the first to leave the classroom. I felt awkward and out of place in that class. Maybe it was because it was my first time or maybe it was because this just wasn’t the class for me. I rubbed my head in frustration walking out of the building and towards my car. My next class wasn’t until 4 P.M. and I’d promised Harry that we’d Skype and that I’d tell him all about my class. I took my phone out of my pocket and send a text to Harry telling him to go online on Skype. We hadn’t really talked much in the past few days because of our different schedules and the time differences.

  “Hey” someone said behind me, putting his hand on my shoulder. I turned around to find no one other than Jacob standing in front of me, flashing me a pearly white smile.

  “Hi” I said, trying to sound calm and that this wasn’t completely and utterly awkward for me.

  “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name” he said.

  “Emily” I told him, shaking his hand.

  “Emily” he started “I couldn’t help but notice that you were kind of startled back there”

  “Well yeah” I said, with blood rushing to my cheeks “It’s my first class so I’m not really used to this yet”

  “Well, how about we go out for dinner tonight? I’ll tell you all about figurative drawing”

  “I, uh, actually have a boyfriend” I told him awkwardly.

  “Oh” was all he said, swallowing his throat “Does he go to this college?”