Chapter 3, Part III

Start from the beginning

Kozue: Yeah, I guess. But if anybody's still interested, then meet me at around the early evening, okay?

Yukiharu: Fuck that!

Yukiharu then stormed out of the mess hall in a huff. Most of us left with him: Umiko had already left to lock herself in her dorm room upon Hirou's urging, Madoka walked away "innocently" whistling, and Souta stumbled out of the door flipping through his sketchbook. I was the last to leave.

----

(Free Time Event #11: Kozue Sumiyoshi)

I wasn't really interested in what Kozue was planning to do in order to lift our spirits, but when she mentioned her senpai last time we talked, I just had to find out what became of her. Thankfully, she was easy to find; she had made a beeline to the swimming pool, as if she was scouting out the place.

Kozue: Oh, hey there Kaori! Fancy seeing you here. Are you interested in listening to what I have to say?

Kaori: Sure. Go ahead.

Kozue: Thanks a lot! You see, my plan for a little party was meant to unite us all. People didn't really take kindly towards it, but it would have solved the problem... I guess.

Kaori: Kozue, can I say something unrelated to the pool party?

Kozue: Oh?

Kaori: Last time we had a serious talk, you mentioned your senpai on the volleyball team.

Kozue: Well, um, well...

Kaori: (She appeared to be thinking heavily about what to say next.)

Kozue: Yeah! Just remembered! She was the one everyone looked up to!

Kaori: ...What happened to your senpai, again?

Kozue: (sigh) She had to untimely quit.

Kaori: Why?

Kozue: It was a normal game. We were facing off against another high school team, but... She landed a bit funny and broke her leg. It never quite healed back to the way it was. Obviously, she couldn't play volleyball with a broken leg, so... she had to quit.

Kaori: That's... how you became the star player on the volleyball team, am I right?

Kozue: Yeah. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty, knowing that she could have been the Ultimate Volleyball Player in my stead. But on the other hand... I feel a bit relieved that she's safe out there.

Kaori: Rather heavy thoughts, don't you think?

Kozue: Yep. Listen, j-just go, okay? I need some time.

Kaori: Right. Okay then. Bye.

Kozue: Bye. Talk to you later.

Kozue and I grew more closer.

----

(Free Time Event #12: Kaiji Kudo)

He had always struck me as a rather odd fellow, Kaiji Kudo. He appeared to have some rather severe self-esteem issues, often referring to himself as "worthless", but also a rather troubling feeling of resentment against us for apparently upstaging him. When I decided to confront him about these aspects, I found him in the second floor's library. He always appeared to have an affinity for that place.

Kaiji: Uh... hello there, Kaori. You appear to be glaring at me rather insistently... do you have any questions to ask me?

Kaori: Yes, I do.

Kaiji: Ask away at your own risk.

His words were a bit ominous in hindsight. I felt like I was walking on eggshells.