Chapter 18: Showtime

Start from the beginning

And then I realized. The Nen- it was the same source surrounding all of them. The same kind.

Could that mean they're the same people? Are they real? Are they conjured?

A checklist formed in my head and I crossed out implausible answers, marking it down to two possibilities.

Duplication? Then they should all be the same people. Conjuring people is a lot of energy though.

Or manipulation? But why manipulate others when they practice this for a living. Puppets? And isn't it exhausting to control 5 life-sized objects at once and be able to perform something this complicated?

I searched for distinct features, though it was proving difficult from the distance. Their hair colors were even the same, but then I focused on body proportions realizing they were indeed different.

Not duplication...but are they different puppets? Doesn't seem likely though...

The acrobats bent their backs inwards from a handstand with both hands on the canes to form a rainbow-like arc. Their faces towards the audience. I concentrated harder, focusing all my power on my eyes. Their facial features became sharper, and I found their individual auras distinct. They were definitely living people; their expressions were slightly changing.

It must be manipulation then. But who? How? It should be exhausting to control this many people. And why would they? These skills are required for this job.

The woman in white started throwing powder and glitter, the music escalating into a livelier tone. She was dancing midair like a graceful bird flying as if she was born to be here.

It might almost be the finale; I don't have much time left.

My chest caved in, and I bit my lip in apprehension. Hisoka grunted next to me. It seemed he was calm again but still smiled, enjoying my stress.

"You know...it's quite a miracle how they perform. When I visited earlier, two of them were said to be injured." He eyed me, his arms crossed.

Injured? A hint. That would make sense but why would they all be manipulated. So, would two have a distinct difference? Then why are all of them being controlled?

It wasn't adding up. It wasn't making sense. I furrowed my eyebrows, contemplating as much as I could on the movements but...it was impossible. The act was so precise, all of their movements were synced perfectly. I studied their joints, for any pain in their faces but nothing.

Wait...they are synced perfectly.

What if they aren't controlling them, the people are just...copying one person? That would require less energy!

No doubt Hisoka would make this hard. He wanted to see my analysis skills, to be able to observe and adapt. And this...this is why I played his game. He gave me challenges unlike any other. I couldn't get enough of it. I gripped my seat and leaned in.

Their faces are the only thing not in unison. The aura...which one is tired. It still involves energy.

I zoomed in on their faces. They were mostly neutral.

No, don't look at their faces. Look at their aura. Come on Raine, only you can see emotions in aura, which one is...

There! The end of the circle.

Dull purple and blue colors flickered deep within one of the girls. But a hidden color reflected fear. Why was she scared? The main light focused on them as they bowed, the children clapping. I finally saw her face in the vivid light. She appeared to be sweating significantly more than the others, then her Nen disappeared and they left the stage in unison.