Coffee and Casual Talk

You woke up to the feeling of being shaken awake. You groan and lazily swat at whoever was shaking you.

"I see someones feisty this morning." The voice says. You opened your eyes and saw electric blue hues staring into your (e/c) eyes. The girl was none other than Thalia Grace, your best friend. Thalia smiles down at you, you respond by sitting up and rubbing your eyes.

"Morning Thals. Why are you up so early?" You ask. Thalia takes a sudden interest in the floor. She drums her fingers against her leg.

"You like coffee, don't you?" She asks. You nod, confused as to what coffee had to do with anything.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well," Thalia looks up from the floor and turns her attention back to you. "I was wondering if you'd want to get coffee with me." 

"Mmm. I am craving coffee. But don't we have to get permission to leave camp?"

Thalia let's out a half hearted laugh. "Y/n, we're adults. We don't need to ask a horse who's been alive for over three thousand years if we can leave camp." You study Thalia, and after a few seconds you decide that getting coffee and sneaking out of camp with her wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"Okay, let's go. But if we get in trouble it's on you."

You get to the coffee shop and find a table for you and Thalia as she orders your coffee. After a few minutes Thalia comes back with two cups of coffee and hands yours to you. You make a face at her choice of coffee.

"How can you drink black coffee without sugar or creamer? That's disgusting." You say jokingly. Thalia laughs and runs her fingers through her hair.

"Relax, y/n. It's not like it tastes like motor oil." She replies. 

"I wouldn't be so sure." You take a sip of your coffee and set it back down. Thalia traces her finger along the table. "So... how's life?" You were horrible at small talk, but Thalia smiled anyway.

"It's good. Since I quit the hunt, I only have a limited time of my life left, so I better live it. Y'know?" She replies. You nod. No one knew why Thalia quit the hunt, not even Annabeth. After years of serving Artemis as her lieutenant, it was weird that Thalia would just decide to quit, but you supported her none the less. She focuses her eyes on you, and you come up with another question.

"So, why did you quit the hunt?" You take another sip of your coffee, your gaze not leaving Thalia. Your friend takes a long sip of coffee before setting it down and staring up at the ceiling. She was bouncing  her leg.

"Dunno. Just didn't want to watch all my friends die before me, y'know?" She replied. It was blunt, but you understood what she meant. You couldn't bare it if you had to watch your friends die before you.

After that, you and Thalia crack jokes and tell stories. Before you knew it, an hour has passed.

"Shit! We should get back to camp. Chiron and Mr. D are gonna be mad." You stand up and grab your coffee, Thalia smiles and does the same.

"You're cute." Thalia says as she smirks at you. Why did you feel your cheeks getting hot? Were you blushing? You were smiling now, you had to suppress a giggle that was forming in your chest. Why were you feeling like this?

"Thank you." You reply, still smiling.

"Let's get going then, sunshine." She replies. She holds out her free hand that isn't holding the coffee, and you take it.

Going for coffee and talking with Thalia became a regular part of your week. Today, you got Thalia to try iced coffee instead of her usual black coffee.