Chapter 17: A Night at the Circus

Start from the beginning

I started visualizing a small rabbit finding a huge cage knowing it was dangerous yet decided to hop in anyways because it believed it wouldn't die.

I facepalmed myself. "You're right, I admit it's not the most logical deci-

"It's pretty dumb."

"I know..." I sighed. "But part of me really wants to see the circus. They never had one on Whale Island and Hisoka-

I turned away to hide my expression. My words caught in my mouth. I was about to reveal to her that he can't really kill me but then that would lead to our bet which must be kept secret.

"Uh- I mean I still want to live to carry out this mission so dying isn't really on my to-do's list..." I bit my lip as heat rose to my cheeks. But thankfully my vision spiked. "Oh, speaking of the jester."

Not a moment later, he knocked on the door and trudged in.

"Are you ready?~" He charmingly held the door open.

"I won't be long Bisky."

"Don't get into any trouble..." but she rephrased her words eying Hisoka. "Don't let him cause trouble."

"I wouldn't dream of it~" Hisoka smirked and I waved before I walked out.

"Trouble doesn't begin to describe what will happen...." His aura whispered. His deep internal thoughts.

I pressed my lips together unsure if I made the right decision.

Whatever happens, I'll be one step closer to getting through to him. I have to win this wager. It won't be that bad...right?

We strolled through the streets as the sun settled down. The cooler temperatures started escalating, pushing cool drafts against my face. This was the first time we were doing something unrelated to fighting or the mission.

I studied his presence, wondering what he had planned.

This time...he won't get to me. As long as I have control over myself, my emotions will keep his bloodlust at bay.

Hisoka looked down at me. "What's on your mind, my sweet?~"

I let out a breath and said something off the top of my head, "You're really tall," then sighed inside at the cringe topic I chose while heat inevitably rushed to my cheeks again from the lie. I bowed my head hiding my face. Hopefully, he was in fact, too tall to notice.

Hisoka laughed, "Are you sure you're not thinking about that little incident this morning~"

I hadn't even thought of it, but I remembered the scene vividly. "Anyone would feel awkward around someone naked." It was true, I tensed when I realized he was naked coming closer to me. My emotions had never riled up like that before. What was that about?

Please, no more.

I quickly changed the subject shrugging it off. "And don't call me 'my sweet', you'd think anyone 'worthy' was your sweet."

"Oh? But Ahmad probably calls every pretty girl Cinta~"

"What does that have to do with anything?" I asked then tied my hair up in a high ponytail.

"Just...pointing it out~" He grinned satisfied at that.

We turned the corner to see a giant red and yellow striped tent with a height taller than most of the buildings here. My eyes widened, taking in the new atmosphere. High-toned music was playing from hidden speakers. Children were holding balloons, walking close with their parents. A man on stilts took pictures with a family while popcorn and other sweet treats were being sold around the entrance. This part of the city seemed the complete opposite from what Ajij told me. It was all so lively.