Chapter 57: On bended knee

Start from the beginning

"Dathan stop! I simply cannot leave without her permission."

"You are not her prisoner, Em." He continued to drag her away and even ignored the curious glances the other servants threw them. "Just tell her I abducted you and she will understand."

They reached the carriage house and with a whistle, a servant came up with two horses. He grabbed Em by the waist and easily threw her up the grey horse and took the black stallion for himself. The servant bowed and left.

"I am not wearing my riding outfit."

"Then we ought to ride slowly, least we ruin your pretty little dress."

"You—" she was about to retort back when she saw Evangeline came out from the house followed by the duchess. They appeared to be looking for a carriage. Before either of the ladies could see her, she kicked her horse and went off.

Dathan was caught off guard by her sudden change of mind but decided to shrug it off and followed suit. He could no longer see Em's horse until he took the left turn. Behind him, dust flew and fell.

It wasn't until he reached the forest clearing that he found Em slowing down. Her pretty braided hair was coming off the pins and the curls were flying against her face. The faded pink dress was holding just fine, a few ribbons were struggling to stay in place but she made it look so natural. Her hands held the reigns with great familiarity. With her steady posture, she looked like a goddess of nature.

He caught up with and realized that she was staring off the distance again. Her rich amber eyes looked tired. With a quick grasp, he caught her hands and managed to halt her horse. She blinked and realized what just happened.

"Dathan, was I going too fast?"

"You were doing fine. Although you surprised me with that sudden horse kick and left a ton of dust behind, I managed to catch up just well." He gave her a smile.

She smiled back awkwardly, "I believe I got overly excited."

"I refuse to believe that."

"What? Why?"

"You were thinking so deeply that you hardly noticed me back in the house. And now, when I saw you from a distance you were staring into nothing." He turned his horse towards hers, "What is bothering you, Em?"

"Nothing."

"Do not lie to me."

She pursed her lips. "Are you that anxious to hear my answer? I asked for time to think about us."

"Clearly that is not what's bothering you." He snapped. "You told me that you wanted me but you are afraid what is to happen if we chose each other. I know what your answer will be but that is not what's eating you up."

"It is something you ought not to know. Now let go of my horse."

"Not until you tell me what is all this about." He clenched his hands tighter around the reigns so she could not take them away. "Is this about mother's guest? Or about my brother?"

"Can we please stop bringing your brother into every conversation we have? Because he is clearly out of my life."

"Then it is me."

"Ohhh, would you stop it already?" She saw how hard he was holding unto her horse so she gave up on the reigns. With one swift move, she lifted her skirts and jumped down. She landed firmly on her legs, her back was turned and she was prepared to run but an idea struck her. Raising her hand, she slapped the hind side of her horse—startling it. The grey hound decided to run and dragged Dathan with him.