TWELVE

                           TWELVE

Lucas's POV

She was finally in front of me. I pinched myself to make sure I was not dreaming. I could feel her eyes on me, appraising me with her soulful eyes.

She looked ethereal in her creme gown, like the goddess she was to me. Her pregnancy weight and tummy only served to make her glow and make her look even more gorgeous. She was truly a diva.

We stared into each other's eyes, forming a connection. I walked to her till we were about a foot apart.

"Rhea, my dear-" I was about to continue when I noticed something. I guffawed out loud. This was simply hilarious. She looked thoroughly confused at my sudden change of mood.

She frowned and asked, more like demanded, "Why are you laughing at me?"

I was still laughing at this point. "You- you are wearing sneakers with your gown. I mean, this looks just too mismatched."

Her eyes narrowed at this, "Well, it is because of your baby that I am uncomfortable with heels."

I won't lie and say that my eyes did not glisten hearing her scold me and say 'your baby'. It was so easy back to fall back to our familiarity and the usual banter. I took a step forward and embraced her in my arms. She went to wrap her hands around my neck, but suddenly she squeaked and wrapped her hands around my waist instead.

She burrowed her head in my shoulder and started sobbing. I rubbed small circles on her back. Though our position was a bit awkward now, because of her pregnant belly.

"I don't think you want everyone to see your crying face, let's go to the back of the garden where it is empty." I joked.

She nodded and gave me a small smile. She soon dropped her gaze to the ground. I wrapped my fingers around her hand and squeezed. She looked back up and bit her lip. I led her to the back weaving through the crowd of people.

As we reached there, I pulled out a chair and made her sit on it. I kissed her knuckles and palm and then brought another seat so that we were face to face without knees brushing each other.

She was looking at me with questions in her eyes. She had closed off, almost as if she was expecting something bad. She took my hand in her lap and started playing with my fingers. I don't think she even realized she was doing that.

"Luc, I am so sorry-" I know we had to talk but this was not the correct place or time. So I cut her off before my gaze again fell on her pregnant belly.

She noticed where my gaze was and her face changed into a guilty one. Before she could say sorry again, I asked, "May I touch your belly?"

"Yeah." She nodded. I placed the hand that she was not holding on to her belly and I felt elated. I had missed so many memories. I did not realize I was crying until she dropped my hand and wiped the tears off my cheeks.