CHAPTER 56

A/N

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since my last upload but I hope you're all doing okay!

Thank you so much for reading! I love reading your reactions and feedback so please, don't hold back!!!!!

Elle's POV

As I start to settle down after seeing Christian off, barely even a few minutes pass by before I hear my doorbell ring.

It's odd, as I wasn't expecting anyone, but I trail towards the front door anyway, completely clueless as to what lies behind it.

Upon pulling the knob, my eyes quickly latch onto a familiar pair of tattooed arms.

"Xavier?" I blink.

"Is your phone dead or something? I've been calling you for like ten minutes." He says, walking past me, offhandedly.

"Yeah." I trail behind him, a mixture of confusion and concern hovering over me. His tone is calm, but I still feel the urge to worry. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah. Everything's fine. I just got some good news and wanted you to be the first person I told."

Throughout the short time I've known Xavier, I can probably only count on one of my hands how many times I've seen him in a cheery mood. Or his version of cheery at least. I observe the way his facial muscles are relaxed into a welcoming grin. In one of his hands is a medium sized box with words printed on them that are too small to read.

"Okay, I'm listening."

Walking further into the house, he takes a seat on the couch.

"So I got an email from my guidance counselor this morning," his grin expands, while his eyebrows gently raise in delight, "guess who's graduating?"

"You?!" I gasp, covering my mouth in shock. The good kind of shock. "Please tell me it's you!"

"Well, it'd kinda be shitty if it wasn't."

"Xavier!" My voice is laced with excitement. "Congratulations!"

My arms fly outwards, welcoming a hug which he gets up from the couch to deliver instantly.

"That's amazing. I'm proud of you." I tell him as we hug.

"Thanks." He replies, pulling away. "I almost forgot," he reaches for the small, carton box on the coffee table and hands it to me. "These are for you."

He hands me the box, which I immediately recognize. It is sealed with the logo of my favorite bakery. The fresh scent of cupcakes greet my nostrils, nearly making my mouth water.

"Just a little something to say thank you. I really appreciate your help, Elle."

I'm pretty sure that's the first time he's ever called me by my real name.

"Stop it." I scold him in a playful way. "Don't get all soft on me."

"Wasn't planning on it." He replies with a shrug, before opening the box in my hand and helping himself to a cupcake. 

"Oh, I've also been meaning to ask. Have you spoken to Camila recently?"

The question is brought up casually, but quickly stirs a mountain of curiosity inside of me. Anybody with eyes can see the chemistry between Xavier and Camila. But as far as I knew, that's all it was...innocent chemistry with no other actions.

"Yeah, we spoke a little bit last night."

"And she didn't say anything?" He raises an eyebrow, his features riddled with skepticism .  "About me?"