CHAPTER 49

Elle's POV

The drive back to my place seemed quicker than usual. It's crazy to think how much things have changed in such a short span of time. The last time I sat in this car, I was an anxious mess, running off an adrenaline high, waiting to take a big ass leap of faith. Now...hours later, I sit in my driver's seat with the biggest smile on my face, driving way above the speed limit because the sooner I get home, the sooner I can get back to Christian.

I arrive at my house shortly after, and am pleased to see neither of my parent's cars in the driveway. They didn't question me at all about spending the night at "Camila's" but now that I'm home, I just knew I would dread having to keep up with that story. I'm a horrible liar. Plus, I don't know how I'd explain the large bouquet of flowers that takes up nearly half of my torso.

"Elle?" A quiet voice startles me once I enter, and lock the door behind me. This causes me to drop all my stuff on the ground, and clutch the nearest item that I could use to defend myself. In this case, it was a fork.

"Shit, Audrey, you scared me!" I place the fork down slowly, while pressing my hand against my chest to confirm the rapid beat of my heart.

It's been a few weeks since I last saw Audrey. I knew she'd be home for break at some point, but I didn't expect to see her this soon.

"I'm sorry." She chuckles, coming deeper into the kitchen. This time I actually take a second to look at her.

I think I can only count on one hand the amount of times I've seen my sister in pajamas this late in the day. Granted, it's only 11am but Audrey is usually up and perfectly put together by 7.

Even in a state of slumber, she looks glorious in her perfectly smooth, silk pajamas.

"I didn't know you'd be back from school this early?"

"I just wanted to visit for the weekend." She stretches her arms out, before laying them carefully at her sides. "I missed you guys."

"Oh God, are you and your boyfriend fighting again?"

Her nose crumples to form an offended expression, but her delicate features fail to capture the aggression.

"I'm just kidding! Before you get all bent out of shape." My chuckle fills the air, and she eventually joins in.

I have to admit, I did miss Audrey. As much as it annoys me, there is something about her that you just have to adore.

"Yeah, whatever." She rolls her eyes playfully. "Mom and dad said you were over Camila's. How was that?"

I contemplate continuing that lie, but with Audrey, I have no reason to. When I was younger, I'd always cover for her. My parents would be shocked if they knew how many times Audrey has snuck out, and snuck back in, a drunken mess with vomit in her hair.

Audrey and I share a mutual code of confidentiality that's probably stronger than the FBI.

"I wasn't actually at Camila's house, I slept over Christian's, and I'm doing the same tonight." I spill casually. "I just came home to pack a few things."

There's a brief look of surprise on Audrey's face, which she quickly tries to mask.

"Oh?" She gapes at me. "Well that explains the flowers." There's a momentary pause. "...and the limp."

If I had a drink in my hand, this is the moment where I would spit it out.

"Not judging don't worry!" Audrey reassures me quickly, upon noticing my stunned reaction. "And I'm not even gonna pry...but please tell me you guys are being safe."