CHAPTER 36

Author's Note
Heyyy, double update, only because I'm extremely busy this semester and It's likely that I won't really have time to upload in the next few weeks. Enjoy !!

Christian's POV
Elle grips my hand firmly as we walk down the stairs. Her eyes latch to the floor, and I can almost sense the depth in her previously shallow breaths. She's anxious and I imagine it has something to do with Esme's mom being here.

Once we reach the bottom of the stair case, I grab her waist, and gently pull her closely. I feel her body loosen in my embrace, while her now darkened eyes meet mine.

"It's gonna be fine." I whisper quietly, letting her know that I'm aware of her nerves. "We're gonna be fine."

Her warm cheeks glow, a result of being stroked by my thumb before I lean in for a kiss. Our lips touch gently, and I hope that their every move brings her more reassurance.

It's an awful feeling to see somebody you love combat any negative emotions. I doubt I'll ever get used to way it stings when my girl's beautiful lips are curved into a frown. The sight alone ignites something dangerous inside me...consequences don't exist and I'd do anything to reverse it. Even if it's over something small like her being charged double over messed up coffee order, I will make sure she walks out of that cafe with her requested drink and a voucher promising free ones for the rest of the year. True story actually.

"I know." She smiles weakly, as we pull apart. Her voice sounds like she's trying to convince both herself and me. I can still feel how tense she is, but I can't let myself get distracted from this opportunity for more knowledge.

I made a vow to myself before I came back to New York. Despite the many detours my life has taken, I must honor it.

She leads me into the kitchen and we're met with two ladies unpacking groceries. I recognizes Elle's mother quickly, as she shuffles around the kitchen, opening and closing cabinets.

My eyes soon travel towards a tall, lean lady in yellow. Her black hair was tied up in a neat bun, revealing an expressionless face. Dark circles envelop her eyes, you can tell she doesn't sleep very well at night. I assume this is Esme's mother.

While I've been doing my research, this is the first time I'm ever actually seeing her. She doesn't look too different than what I imagined though. There isn't a hair out of place in her bun, nor a wrinkle in sight on her dress. The perfume she wore smelled expensive and the red bottoms of her heels are exposed as she walks. Classic Rosewilton housewife.

In her arms are two brown paper bags filled to the brim with groceries. They seem to be too much for her slender frame, so I take this as a chance to dive in.

"Let me get those for you!" I step into the kitchen, carefully approaching the woman with a smile.

My voice seems to startle her a bit, but I hear a sigh of relief when our eyes meet.

"Oh, thank you honey." She smiles, as I take both bags out her hands. While she tries to form a happy expression, the lack of authenticity is quite clear. She's a sad woman, with sad eyes and there's an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I feel for her. Esme and I could be related biologically, yes...but this is her mother. This woman took her in, raised her and loved her only to lose her in the end.

This exchange brings attention to Elle and I's presence.

"I didn't even notice you guys!" Kira gasps, as Elle approaches her with a hug. She also directs the same action towards Mrs. Melendez, which I can tell comforts the woman greatly.

"We just came down." Elle answers, and I too greet her mother with an embrace.

"So glad to have you, Christian!" She beams warmly, once we pull away. I can safely say that I've never not felt welcomed into the Maniquez home. They treated me like family, and it's an odd feeling but something I appreciate.