1.

(Story takes place in 2021 but all the characters are the same!!)

"Hey we're gonna be late let's go!" I could hear my brother Charlie and his friend Guy talking downstairs. I had a special practice today because we were going to be meeting the new team members. Charlie has been talking about it for weeks. I grabbed my bag and followed them outside.

The whole way Guy was talking about the new team mates while Charlie just listened and nodded. I was worried about the new team. What if coach replaced us with them?

"So how many are we getting?" Charlie asked. Guy pulled out a newspaper from his bag.

"Hey look at this article," Guy gave my brother the article and pointed to the front page. Charlie's eyes scanned it and then he gave it back to Guy.

"So it looks like five new recruits. Man this should be fun!" We made it to the rink and Charlie held the door open for Guy and I. We looked onto the rink but no one was there so we headed to the locker rooms. When we got in I could see the whole team getting ready.

"Hey guys! Did you hear about the new people?" Jesse Hall screamed.

"Yeah," Charlie held up the newspaper. I went to stand next to Adam Banks, my best friend. His eyes widened and followed my brother as he was going near Jesse and Guy.

"Earth to Adam!" I waved my hand in front of his face and he shook his head.

"Sorry Liz... I was just..." I raised my eyebrow.

"Distracted?" I finished his thought.

"Yeah...distracted," I rolled my eyes and finished getting ready for practice.

~

We all skated onto the rink and we saw coach with Don Tibbles, who we met a few days ago. I stood next to Adam and Lester Averman.

"Where are these new peopl-" I started. Before I could finish, five people skated onto the ice. Adam and I scanned them as they skated near coach. One of them struck my eye. A girl. She was blonde, and smiling. She was a goalie and I supposed she was taking Goldburg's place. My eyes followed her over to the goal. My feet were starting to move with her until Adam pushed my shoulder back.

"So I guess you got a little distracted too," Adam made a smart remark. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up cake-eater," I gave him a nudge with my elbow and he fell to the ice. Connie, who was next to us, picked him up and giggled. I kept staring at the pretty goalie as coach was introducing the boys. Luis Mendoza was first. He was a really fast skater. I wasn't gonna be the one to race him anytime soon. I could hear Averman talking to Connie and Guy but I wasn't paying enough attention to what they were staying.

Next was Dwayne Robertson. He was supposed to be the best puck handler. He liked to show it too. Finally, it was the girls turn. She skated over to the goal and put her helmet on.

"That's Julie "The Cat" Gaffney. She won state champ for Maine three years in a row!" Don was explaining. So, Julie Gaffney. I guess Adam noticed me staring because his hand was tapping my helmet.

"Adam what are you doing?" I grabbed his hand and knocked it off my head.

"We are supposed to be doing a scrimmage Liz.." He said. That much time had passed? Who were the other boys? Had I missed the whole thing? I shook my head a bit and followed Adam for the scrimmage. Adam, Connie, Jesse, Julie, Luis and I were on one team. Charlie, Goldburg, Guy, Averman, Dwayne and those other guys were Ken Wu and Dean Portman, also on the opposite team. Jesse and Dwayne were starting the game and coach blew the whistle and the scrimmage started.

~

"We beat the crap out of you guys!" Luis was saying as we all entered the locker rooms.

"Haha very funny. If Goldburg wasn't so lazy maybe we could have done better!" Charlie shot back. Everyone's eyes fell onto Goldburg.

"Don't look at me!" He said. Everyone started laughing. Julie looked pretty when she laughed. I decided what was the worst in introducing myself. Adam turned to me with his mouth open, ready to speak. I was already walking over to Julie.

"Hey. My names Eliza. I saw you out there, your a really good goalie!" I said. My hands were sweaty and shaking.

"Aw thank you. Your a great skater yourself. Very fast. My names Julie," She said. I blushed. Julie Gaffney thought I was a good skater. ME?

"Hey Liz you ditched me!" Adam was walking over to us.

"Sorry Adam," I said. I did feel bad, Adam was my oldest friend.

"Well I'll leave you guys alone," Julie said walking away with her bag.

"Hey wai-" Before I could finish the door was shutting. I turned to face my friend.

"Adam! Why did you do that," I said.

"Well I figured...I just wanted to ask if it was still on," He sighed. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Huh? What's still on?" I asked. He sighed again.

"Liz... our sleepover. We have a sleepover every Friday after practice remember?" The sleepover! I completely forgot!

"Oh my god Adam I forgot i'm sorry. Look I'm not ready right now. I gotta go home and get my stuff. I'll be a bit late but I promise i'll be there!" I said. He smiled and I ran out the door with my bag barley over my shoulder.

"Bye Adam see you tonight!"

"Bye Liz," He turned around and walked out the other exit.