Chapter 51

"Tom? Thomas?" A hand lightly shook him awake as he opened his eyes to the white wall the bed was leaned against.

Lily was still curled up drooling on his shirt as he turned his head surprised to Eve. She was standing a foot away. Her usual track suit for work was slightly moist from the rain along with her hair that was tyed away in a messy pony tail. 

"Eve?...why are you here?" His voice was deep and grouchy from the long nap.

Moving a bit away from the bed she moved herself on her knees whisphering softly. "Visiting. I got in a fight at home and my friend is on a date. Your mom let me in" Peeking over she noticed Lily clenching Thomas' shirt muttering softly in her sleep.

Blinking a few times Thomas began to wake up a bit more. He moved up a bit on his elbow as he looked a bit concerned toward her. "Fight? Why?" 

"Oh it's nothing serious...my parents were mad I was late from work. The next shift was late" Rubbing her arms she shook off a chill before moving her hands to a near by heater. "Forgot my umbrella"

"Let me get you a towel" Thomas moved Lily off before getting out of bed slowly.

Seeing he didn't disturb her he nodded to the exit walking to a nearby supply closet in the narrow hallway. Eve quickly followed smiling around the small hallway. The feeling of the just turned on heat made her let out a breath.

"Here this will work." Tossing over a clean towel Eve caught it before drying her long hair.

Thomas moved past shutting his sister's door nodding to the living room.

Hearing his mother in the master bedroom talking on the phone he sighed as he moved some of Lily's blankets and pillows. "Sit she shouldn't be out for another thirty minutes"

"Thank you" Eve sat as she observed the slightly messy home around her. Feeling Thomas sit next to her she. Felt her cheeks get a bit red before looking again to his tired expression.

"Work wearing you out?" Her hand reached him as she moved away some messy locks behind his ear.

"Life is just draining...I'm having trouble with some things is all" Shrugging it off Thomas looked over noticing Eve's concerned look.

"What?"

"You look stressed out...is this because of Lily? Your stepdad told me about her running off alot"

A surprised look came on his face before waving it off. "Oh don't worry about that. She likes to chase things around where I work. She chases something in particular but I'm gonna take care of it"

A soft "Huh..." Left her lips. An annoyed look crossed Eve's face quickly,  as she sat herself up more. "So she might be grabbing possible animals or humans?"

Thomas' head shot up shaking his head quickly. "What? No no! She isn't she hasn't gotten any kind of creature."

"She better not" Her eyebrows lifted as she kissed his cheek. "I don't want to take her in"

"You couldn't take in a kid" Thomas playfully shoved her. Her plain face caught him off guard though as she didn't seem to be joking.  

"You wou-"

"Thomas! I need you in here now!" His mother voice rung in the hall as the teen stood quickly. "I...ok right hold on" Holding up a hand he ran in his mother's room.

Watching him disappear Eve stood walking back to Lily's bedroom.