Chapter 49

Lily!" Anna and Thomas smiled before a hand moved up making them stop any greetings.

"Family meeting. Now" Hayden walked between the two as he walked toward the master bedroom.

Thomas peeked to his mother as she only looked to the closed door as the two could hear Hayden wishing his daughter a good night sleep before he opened the door having a disappointed look.

"Sit. Come on I need both stories" He pointed to the couch.

After sitting in on the love seat the older man sighed out the last of the cold before he rested his head against his hand as he scanned the two as Thomas mostly looked confused as Anna looked mostly ashamed.

"We can't keep doing this"

"What?" Thomas furthered looking between his two parents.

"Lilian is gonna get herself hurt. And we may not see her next time and she could end up worse."

Realizing what he meant Thomas leaned in as his face grew serious. "Where was she?"

"I was finishing up a different meeting with south side and a scout was holding her. Apparently she got her pajama pants stuck in a bushes and they helped her. But my question is. How the hell did she leave and why?"

Looking right to his step son Thomas gave another confused expression.

Thomas lowered his brows before he protested. "I didn't tell her to come, Hayden. She's probably trying to see a friend or get some imaginary pet or something."

"Actually Thomas your right." Hayden challenged. Soon moving in a hunched position leaning in close similar to Thomas. "She was looking for a Charlie person. I been hearing that for awhile now and I'm starting to think it's not just some made up intaty."

Hard eyes watch the teenager grow nervous.

Thomas sitting up as he leaned back in his seat. "Look. Hayden it's not like I'm having her see some random dude-"

"You look at me in the eye when you're telling me facts Boy. Now look up" The harsh tone made him look upward quickly back to Hayden's hard stare. His face showed anger but living long enough with Hayden he could only sense disappointment.

"Look Charlie is a classmat-"

"You have told me multiple times it's an imaginary friend. Now he's real?"

"maybe I mistaken him something else. She's six like I can keep track."

"Why has he never come over? What does he look like? Why have I never seen him? Why is Lily trying to see some random teenager Thomas?"

Thomas's mouth muttered but no words came out. His eyes blinking as he struggled to come up with a new lie.

'What the hell....what do I do?!' His thoughts swarm as he feels cornered.

"We met him at Thomas's birthday party. Remember Hayden?"

Thomas' eyes widened as his head spun to his mother who was looking toward Hayden. A tired look clear on her face.

"I think he had blonde hair. Thomas is texting him all the time." Anna defended as she gave a quick glance at Thomas before looking back to her husband. "Besides. It's my fault. Lily was my responsibility and any good mother wouldn't have a track record of this many times she runs off. Anna voice grew tired as her body wore down with guilt.

Anna's tired eyes meeting with Hayden again from being so focused on the hard wood floor. "If you need to blame anyone blame me."

Thomas struggled to close his gasping mouth but shut it in enough time as
Hayden looked in his direction as Thomas avoided eye contact.

"Thomas."

Meeting his stepfather's eyes Thomas gave him his full attention.

"Two weeks no friends. And straight home after work. No girlfriend and no friends or Charlie. I don't even want to hear it from Lily.''

A loud creak sound started as Hayden pushed himself out of the old love seat. His ruff hand moving against his chin. His tired honey colored eyes meeting Anna's.

"We are talking before bed. Privately" His eyes meet with Thomas again before he turned walking off. Walking to master bedroom.

Thomas's head whined him with guilt as he heard Lily's snores from the bedroom.

"Alright so this is how you play. The Princess is gonna save the prince cause he got taken by the dragon! The Princess got ninja moves and can jump over the balcony to save the day!" Tossing the doll in the air, Lily began clapping.

Grabbing the boy doll she crawled over setting it next to her older brother who was sitting on the bed.

It was closer to evening. The two were waiting for their mother to get back from the store as Thomas was in charge of keeping the run away home.

''There...now I don't have a dragon. But I got a sock! Lets color it and make it red" She giggled as she looked for a permanent marker.

Not getting a response Lily turned her head back to her slouching tired older brother. They were in her orange and white bedroom.

Keeping his eyes to the floor not speaking to Lily.

"Tommy? You ok?" Crawling over she shook his knee hopeful for a response. Her green eyes trying to peek under his bangs.

Thomas turned his head toward the window near her bed noticing the heavy rain fall.

"Hey...Tommy? Tommy!" Lily climbed in bed grabbing his arm and pulling to get some kind of response. The arm dropped back in his lap as he turned more toward the window.

A small hand pet his hair. "Tommy? Do you got repression?"

"It's depression..." Thomas muttered

"Yeah! That!" Her arms wrap around his neck as she hugs tightly. You don't have to have it. Just play with me!" Nuzzling his neck Thomas rolled his eyes.

"Lily. Why do you keep going into the forest?''

Lily popped up her head. "Cause Charlie" A dimpled smile spread as she was proud of her big brother for talking. She continued messing with his hair.

"You know stranger danger right?"

"Yeah" Lily answered

"Well that applies to humans...not all boy blondes are Charlie" peeking over his shoulder he felt a wave of guilt seeing Lily seem a bit confused.

"But aren't all tinies nice? Charlie is nice"

"Charlie is our friend but not all humans are nice. You know what Hayden told you about strangers same for humans." Turning himself around to face her his hands lifted her up before setting her on his lap.

"But they can't grab me and run" Her head lifted up looking again confused to her older brother.

"They could do worse...just trust me. You need to keep away from where I work."

"But what if you tell me to?"

Rubbing her head his eyes felt heavy. His head was pounding from the stress he had been facing before. "Yes even if I tell you to"

Pulling her to his chest. They shared an embrace as Thomas moved them into the messy sheets.

Moving the blanket over them both on the twin sized bed. "Just trust me...humans aren't always what they say they are. If anything happens you just find me okay?"

Lily's head turned up as she watched her brother close his eyes. She moved a bit closer kissing his cheek before smiling at him kissing her head. "Okay Tommy"

The two shut their eyes as the soft sound of rain was heard outside.

"Night Tommy, Love you"

"Love you too..."