Chapter 39

"See you later, and in my opinion you need to move. Then your not guilt tripped when you get home" Setting down a hand Charlie stepped in the grass turning to the smiling giant.

"Fine. I will talk with Jessie but I still need you to meet her..eventually she will be suspicious if I don't let her meet you"

"Sounds good" Thomas nodded as he stood. Waving each other off the two headed home.

"Mmm....no more push ups...dude...I can't keep steady..."

"Thomas?" Moving her head in Anna found her sleeping son spread across the bed.

Looking over the dirty room she shook her head in disappointment before walking to the bed shaking him awake.

"Tom wake up someone is on the phone for you"

Not long Thomas opened his eyes as he was given his cellphone. "You left it in the kitchen" Smiling softly Anna turned before stopping to the door. "Oh and remember to do the laundry tommorw I don't want mold." Giving a grossed out face she soon left him.

Blinking a few times to his mother he put the phone to his ear. "Hello? Am I late to something?"

"Thomas right?"

A female voice caught him off guard as he rubbed his eyes "Eve?"

"No...it's Jessie...Charlie's girlfriend remember?"

"Jessie? What's wrong? Did you need me to call Charlie?"

Sitting up in her bed Jessie nervously bit her nail as she was hugging her magenta colored pillow. "No...I need to ask you about him...your his best friend right?"

Yawning loudly Thomas lyed himself back in bed rubbing his eyes to keep awake "Yeah" His voice grew more rough as he spoke.

"Sorry I know it's late but I can't sleep" Jess turned her head as the clock turned to midnight.

"It's ok...make it fast though...I have to go to school...tommorw" The pillows relaxed his shoulders as a soft breath left his lips.

Jessie's nails dug in the small pillow as she could tell her time was limited. "Come on, don't fall asleep on me. I need to talk with someone Charlie knows. His mom already hung up on me twice." Reaching over she clicked off her lamp before turning to lay on her chest under the covers.

"I'll try" shifting upright Thomas pulled away a few strains of hair as he stared blankly to his bed sheets.  "No promises"

"That's fine...did Charlie tell you about what I asked?"

"Some of it...he's nervous" Thomas answered honestly. "Are you? Is that why your calling?"

Clawing more into her pillow her head lowered in shame as her bangs cover her eyes. "Is it that obvious?"

Smiling upward to his ceiling he softly responded "Well your calling me so late it must be. I have a Mom and little sister so I know girl think about us guys so much"

"I......Shut up"

Giving himself a minute to hold in a laugh he continues "Anyway! Back on subject. He's fine he just thinks you'll think he's a slob" 

"Well he is one but I don't care as long as he cleans after himself" Giggling a bit in the phone a warm smile came on her face. "Thank you. I really appreciate you for not cussing me out for calling so late."

"My step dad probably kill me if I did that to a girl. But if your good I can let you go"

"Well actually one more thing. Since you helped me." Sitting up more she pulled the covers over her shoulders. 

"Sure. What's up" Thomas muttered as he began to drift off again as his eyes grew heavy.

"I may need you to help me figure out how to break some more news to Charlie. Nothing bad, I just don't know how he will be and I don't think I can do it without you to help out. We may need to talk in person though. Do you live far?"

Starting to wake up again Thomas gave a nervous laugh. Shoving himself up in bed his eyes moved to the stack of how to draw books. "Well. I don't think...you know it's the best idea. You know the girl I've been seeing is a bit over protective. I don't want you guys getting into trouble."

Jessie replied calmly.

"Thomas. Look that's great your girl cares about you but I'm not coming to make out with you. I just need to talk to you for ten minutes at the least. I know you like her but if she is that paranoid and wants to fight me over talking you probably shouldn't be with her."

"I..." Thomas lowered his brows. Rubbing his stinging eyes as he moved the bright phone closer to his lap. "You can't video chat?"

"I don't have internet. My apartment rent is a lot as it is" She muttered as she pulled the blankets to her lap.

Rubbing his head he nodded in silence before answering. Closing his eyes as if he see her disappointed reaction. "I just...can't not right now. Give me some time."

Staring at her blankets Jessie gave a nod back. "Goodnight Thomas. Thank you for putting up with my bullshit" Jessie joked as she gave out a tired laugh. "Just text me if you can"

"Goodnight Jess"

Hearing the call end Jessie dropped her phone on the side of the bed. Wiping her eyes she peeked to the nightstand. Pulling an item into view where the phone's soon dimming light showed a pregnancy test.

Her eyes stared at the positive sign before the phone turned to darkness leaving her alone with her thoughts.