30: The Crazies of Karasuno

She stomped her way down the pavement. Hands buried deep into the pockets of her coat, to escape the frigid air, and the scarf wrapped tightly around the lower half of her frost-bitten face. Emiko shivered and grumbled under her breath.

It was Sunday evening and the Karasuno second years planned to eat out together at the local ramen shop. A small gesture to welcome back their managers and as touching as it was, Emiko would have much preferred to be curled up in the warmth of her living room with a mug of hot chocolate.

She glanced up, narrowing her eyes at the distance left when she noticed a familiar face.

"Tsukki!" she screamed, and Naruto ran after him.

Tsukishima paused mid-step and looked over his shoulder. "Oh, it's you. Don't call me that."

"Can I call you Kei?"

"What? No."

"Then Tsukki it is."

He rolled his eyes. Tsukishima slowed his pace and walked alongside Emiko as they continued towards the restaurant.

"So," she drawled, "how's it going?"

"We're not doing this."

"Hey, I'm trying to be civilized. Why aren't we doing this?"

"Do we need small talk when we have 30 steps left?"

"Yes, we do because we're friends and because I haven't seen in you in two whole weeks."

"You saw me last night at practice."

"I saw your face sure, but I didn't see, see you. You know what I mean?"

"Nope." He opened the door to the restaurant and walked in. "Now stop talking."

They walked in and to their surprise, they were the first ones. Emiko clapped her hands and grinned. "I guess we are doing this! Come on, Tsukki, let's find a table and catch up like the great friends we are."

He narrowed his eyes, begrudgingly following her to the corner of the room. Once they were seated, Emiko took it upon herself to initiate a conversation.

"So, Tsukki, how've you been?"

"Fine."

"You know a conversation usually works when two people talk."

"What gave you the impression I want a conversation right now?"

"Your shining smile and pretty eyes." She gave him finger guns. "Fine, I'll cut to the chase. How much did you miss your girlfriend?"

"What?" he glared. "I don't have a girlfriend."

"Not yet, you don't but be honest for a second. Everyone at school knows you and Mirae have a little something, something going on between you two. No one's going to come in the middle of it. And she is head over heels for you, even I can see the way she looks at you. Which means all that is left is a confession. Hey, want me to ask Akira to write a love letter or something?"

"No. Absolutely not."

"Well, we're not getting any younger. And, and, and," she hurried, "white day is coming up in a few weeks. It's the perfect opportunity to make a romantic gesture. Hinata! Over here!"

"Little Ukai!" he cheered with raised fists.

Emiko moved over in her seat to make space for the others. Hinata greeted her with a quick hug before dropping down beside her. Kageyama nodded at them both and quickly turned to the menu. Tadashi and Yachi unclasped their hands and sat down afterwards. The only available seat for Mirae was next to Tsukishima. With blushing cheeks, she took her spot. The group quickly decided on what to eat and placed their orders.