9: The Day Can Be Best Described as Toilet Water

Day 3

Emiko had never been so thankful for adult supervision.

Coach Kurosu went on and on about his dog and how it was the most important member of his family. Apparently, it had learned a new command and although he did not confirm or deny it, she knew the single fact that this old man was having family problems.

The other Coach was in his late twenties and apparently, he was not seeing anyone. Coach Oomi was a liar, Emiko deduced, because every two minutes he would check his phone and smile fondly before texting a reply.

They were adults and their personal lives were of no business but if they were going to sit with her during practice and unknowingly protect her from the savages that are Inarizaki's volleyball team, then she had no qualms.

She could listen.

"And he wags his tail." Coach Kurosu continued to swipe through more photos of his little yellow dog. "Every day he waits for me by the door. He's smart and appreciative and I don't know what I'd do without him."

She nodded absent-mindedly. The stories of the yellow dog were entertaining but Coach Oomi's love life was more interesting. Thinking about it now, she decided it was time for her Uncle Keishin to find someone too.

She would have to come up with a plan.

"Alrighty boys, that was a good practice!" Coach Oomi stood up and slipped his phone into his jacket. "Take a fifteen-minute break to stretch 'n rest. We'll have another practice game with our starters versus benchwarmers, and the first years can train diggin' with Suzuki."

Emiko's eyes widened. Adult supervision was leaving her in the gym with the savages. They were going to eat her alive as promised. She had to survive long enough to be the flower girl at her Uncle Keishin's wedding. She refused to die before that.

"Emiko-chan," she felt a tug on her sleeve. Yukio hesitated and then pointed to her neck. "What is a hickey?"

"Where did you hear about that?" she squeaked, clamping a hand over his mouth.

"Well, our Captain said I should stay away from ya because yer a bad influence. Then our vice-Captain said ya got a hickey and it's contagious. So, I was curious."

"Okay, first, hickeys are not contagious," she snapped, dropping her voice even lower. "Second, this is a bruise from being choked by my first year back at Karasuno."

"He choked you?" Yukio gasped, concern bleeding into his eyes.

"It's fine. He was just a little upset that I was leaving for two weeks. My point is that this is neither contagious nor a hickey. You're safe."

His body visibly relaxed.

The boys sprawled on the ground, cracking their backs and making small talk. As dangerous as each of them were though, they practiced hard. No one dared to slack, except maybe Suna but he was a third-year, so no one called him out.

"Emiko-chan, I'll get the drinks to the first and second years. Can ya get the third years'?"

Her face paled. Hesitantly she nodded her head and reached for the water bottles.

Ginjima sat down with his legs stretched outward. He then reached for them, hiding his sweating face in his chest as he hissed at the burning ache of his muscles. Emiko lightly tapped the cold bottle against the back of his neck.

He looked up and his expression softened.

"Thanks, Suzuki."

"Don't mention it," she paused, "actually, do. Mention it on my assessment. That I was the best manager and everyone else is biased."