29: The Return of Miss Managers

Coach Ukai froze at the entrance. He narrowed his eyes and for a brief second and wondered if he was in the wrong gymnasium.

"Am I early?" he glanced down at his phone and frowned. "Is it daylight savings time already? Wait, did she realize I blew out her protection candle and somehow messed with the clock?"

"Uh, hi coach!"

Ukai looked up and greeted Yaotome. "Hey, kid, where is everyone? Why are you setting up alone?"

Yaotome pushed the volleyball cart away from him and closed the storage doors. "Oh no, I'm not setting up. We decided to take it easy this morning and just do spike receives in pairs."

"I'm sorry, who made this decision?"

"Ennoshita," he beamed, "and Tanaka. They are our captain and vice-captain."

Ukai blinked slowly, trying to recall if all the boys had smart mouths like this. "Uh-huh and does our captain and vice-captain know practice is supposed to start," he glanced down at his phone, "in two minutes?"

"Oh, yeah."

"'Tome I don't like to swear but where the hell is everyone?"

He pointed up. "In the girls' clubroom."

"What?"

"Yup! They're going to surprise our manager-"

Ukai didn't wait for the explanation. He threw himself out the door and sprinted up the steps towards the changing rooms. The boys were crowded around, muttering excitedly and pushing each other out of the way. Ukai marched up and grabbed the closest one by the collar of his shirt.

"Kageyama!" he roared.

Their setter's eyes widened. The others behind him went mute as they cautiously turned.

"Hey coach," Nishinoya stuttered.

"Stop trying to break into the girls' changing rooms. What are you? A bunch of perverts? What it this?"

"It's not like that!" Hinata sputtered as all colour drained from his face. "We wouldn't do that!"

"Coach please, I have a girlfriend. Just who do you take me for? Benjiro? Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a soccer kid and I never will be. It's not that I hate soccer, my girlfriend plays, and she is great. We should go watch one of her games."

"Shut-up," Shoji growled elbowing Takita. "No one asked about your girlfriend."

"Look man, jealousy isn't a good look on you."

"Jealous-"

"If you want me to set you up, just ask. Minori's friend is available."

"I don't want Minori's friend!"

"Stop it you two," Narita hushed, "can't you see we are in the presence of a very enraged Ukai. This only happens when Emiko's around."

"Emiko!" The boys cheered at once. Tanaka threw his fist in the air and continued to praise her name.

Ennoshita pushed himself through the crowd and faced the coach. He gently pried his hands off of Kageyama, who immediately scrammed backwards and hid behind Nishinoya.

"Everyone was just a little too excited to wait so we decided to come greet them."

"Them?"

"Emiko and Mirae."

Tsukishima cleared his throat. "Just so we're clear, I was dragged here."

"Right, sure you were." Kinnoshita grinned. He, Narita and Tadashi shared a knowing look.