20: Itachiyama's Stalker and Inarizaki's Gremlins

Day 8

For one reason or another, Suna was more awake than usual this morning. He stabbed his fork onto Emiko's plate and stuffed the puffy pancake into his mouth. Syrup dripped down his chin as he struggled to chew. Despite the sticky mess, he gave Emiko a smug look.

She glanced around the table and grabbed a loaf of bread. She aimed at his head and threw it but it smacked his chest.

Mrs. Suna turned around from the kitchen counter and glanced between them. "What was that?"

"Nothing."

"She threw bread at me."

Emiko slammed her hands on the table. "You have no proof."

He picked up the loaf from his lap and deadpanned. "Explain this."

"The breadbasket is literally in front of you."

Mrs. Suna giggled. When the tea kettle whistled, she poured it into three cups.

"So, Emiko," she said, taking a seat at the table. "Have you made any new friends?"

She choked and covered her mouth. "Oh, yeah. Plenty of friends. Everyone loves me."

"Specially the Miyas."

"Lies." Emiko pointed her butter knife at him. She turned to Mrs. Suna and grinned. "The first years on the team love me. They're just shy so it's taking a while for them to open up. Oh, and these girls in my class know my name which, is cool, I guess."

"Which girls? I sit beside you and no girl has ever talked to you." Suna narrowed his eyes. He pointed his own butter knife at her. "Don't lie to my Ma, Suzuki."

"I'm not a liar. I do have friends."

"Friends," he hummed, "like Mirae? The one yelling at you?"

"She was angry at someone from Itachiyama, how many times do I have to tell you this?"

"Face it Suzuki, the only friends you have are the Miyas. Maybe Atsumu is something more because they were having a moment."

"A moment?" Mrs. Suna leaned in. "Tell me more."

"It was a moment." She shrugged. "I've been waiting my entire life for a moment and finally Atsumu and I shared a moment together. It was awesome, but nothing crazy."

"Atsumu doesn't think that. He thinks the moment is the stepping stone for something more-" he made an explosive gesture.

"I don't know sign language."

Suna blinked. "Marriage."

Mrs. Suna gasped like a schoolgirl. Emiko choked on her tea and nearly fell off of the chair.

"Lies!" she shrieked. "Lies and you know it! I would never get anywhere near the idea of Atsumu Miya and myself in a relationship. Do you know what his fangirls would do to me? Do you, Rintaro? They would bare their fangs and eat me alive. Atsumu has five girlfriends who are planning a summer wedding and I am not about to come in between that."

"Interesting that we don't know about these girlfriends."

"I'm not making it up. I know two of them."

"Interesting because you only know the people on the team."

"They cornered me in the bathroom. The day I was limping, and- and we got dumplings!"

Mrs. Suna frowned. "Why were you limping, Emiko?"

"Oh," she blushed, "I fell in the toilet bowl trying to get proof."