8: Horoscopes and Three Hour Facetime Calls- That's Sus

Night 2

Whoever came up with the term professional athletes should have added a note in the dictionary that mentioned high school students did not fall into that category. If anything, they should be referred to as delinquent athletes. Or athletic devils.

Yukio was holding a volleyball above his head. His lips trembled as he grimaced, eyes trying to find the humour that the rest of the team saw.

As expected, the ever responsible Ginjima was nowhere to be seen. Suna sat against the wall directing his phone camera. The Miya Twins cackled from the middle of it all.

"What are you doing to him?"

A path opened as she marched up. The voices hushed, laughter dying down.

Atsumu was the one to answer her.

"It's a lesson of patience."

"You're making him stand with a volleyball over his head. How is that a lesson of patience?"

"Maybe she needs a lesson too." Osamu narrowed his eyes. "Attitude check, yeah 'Tsumu?"

"Yeah. The skipping ropes seem like a great idea."

"It's Fine, Emiko-chan!" Yukio stuttered. "This is easy, I'm fine. Don't you worry about me."

"Of course I'm going to worry about you. You're the only normal one here."

"Emiko-chan you said you don't have any stamina. Heck, I saw you gasping for air hunched over your knees just yesterday when you walked up the stairs. If they force you to skip rope, you'll die."

"It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for you."

"You're into some sketchy stuff." Suna cracked a grin as he stood up and slipped his phone into the pocket of his pants. "Sacrifices? What, are you part of the Devil's club or something?"

"No."

Atsumu scoffed. "Whatever. Yer a manager, yeah? So ya take care of stuff for us, yeah?"

"What stuff are you talking about?" She narrowed her eyes and protectively stood in front of Yukio. "I take care of volleyball-related stuff and nothing more. Now, if you'll excuse us, Yukio and I are going."

She grabbed the first year's sleeve and lowered his hands. The volleyball dropped to the ground. Everyone watched it roll away. She dragged Yukio but Osamu puffed out his chest and stood in front of her.

"Coach wanted me to remind ya about the assessment forms. Since our opinion impacts yer score and whatnot."

The colour drained from her face. If there was one twin that terrified her more than the other, it was Osamu Miya. Beneath the indifference, his gaze was cold and calculated.

"No!" she screamed. Her eyes widened and she almost bowed. "Wait no, no- I mean I know where to get the papers, but- never mind. What do you need me to do? I'll do it. Anything."

The twins turned around and, out of complete thin air, they retrieved a stack of books each. They shoved them into Emiko and Yukio's arms and then stepped back.

"Oh no," someone murmured.

"These books need'a be 'turned to the library."

Emiko struggled with the weight. "Why is there so many? How many is this?"

"I've got twelve of 'em. 'Samu's is ten?"

"Yeah and they're overdue by three months."

"There's no way you guys have to read this much in class 1 and 2."