5: The Declaration of War Because Why Not

Day 1

Kyotani Kentaro, known as Mad Dog, was not an easy person to text. He would often reply days late and then spam, expecting a reply within half a second.

Still, Emiko was thankful for his friendship because when she told him about her trip to Hyogo, he promised to have his phone on standby. Now, while Coach Kurosu patted her on the back and explained what the rest of the week was going to look like for team training, she was asking Mad Dog for survival tips.

He offered to come and beat Inarizaki into submission and as tempting as the offer was, she had to decline.

"At the end, you'll be given a questionnaire. Fill it out honestly. It will ask questions about Miss. Suzuki's performance and will count towards her evaluation."

She visibly cringed. For the next twelve days, she was literally defenceless. She had to choke back the sarcastic and snarky comments, she had to hold off on pranks, and all precious blackmail material had to be burned immediately. Inarizaki could do whatever they wanted and she had to endure.

It was all because she had made a promise to Ennoshita.

Emiko prayed to her ancestors for patience. A text came through; I could take them on. Just say the word.

"Miyas," The Coach narrowed his eyes. "If I find out ya let yer bias of Karasuno cloud yer judgement on her performance, I'm not gonna be happy."

Atsumu snorted. Osamu blinked.

Emiko liked to think that she was an animal who continued to survive in her environment because of her instincts. She could usually tell how honest people were on the first impression. She had steered clear of many messy friendships by following her gut.

Most recently, she knew that no matter what, she had to avoid joining the drama club. Sure, the decision landed her as a manager on the Karasuno volleyball team and as overwhelming as it was, she loved it.

Besides, from what she heard, many viewers from the last drama production complained to the school about the show. Apparently, it was not very PG 13.

"Miss. Suzuki, do ya have anythin' to say to the boys?"

She hid her phone behind her back and straightened her posture. This was it. She had to endure despite her gut telling her to book it out the gym doors.

"Call me Emiko," she mustered the friendliest smile she could, "Suzuki is so formal, right?"

Fifteen pairs of eyes glared.

"Now, now, don't all of you talk at once." Her lips faltered. She cleared her throat and spun around a few times before she found the container of homemade granola bars. She grabbed them and popped the lid off. "Right, well, I hope we all learn from each other during this event. I also made you guys healthy granola bars. As a peace offering."

Coach patted her head and left her in the team's care. With each step that he took, she felt her lifespan shortening.

As the gym doors closed, Atsumu stepped forward. He eyed the snacks and then gingerly took the container from her.

She beamed. "You're going to love them! There are three different types of chocolate in them, salted caramel, mixed nuts, oats and-"

"How nice of ya."

He then threw the open container high into the air. It landed a few feet away with a hard smack, the snacks spilling onto the floor. Then, he raised his fist and gave a battle cry. "There will be no peace!"

"Argh!" the team cheered.

She scrambled backwards, holding her phone to her chest. This was an assault on all fronts. She was exposed. There was no possible way for her to find the weakest member and manipulate them into submission, no way for her to find allies.