19: Volleyball Boys Are Idiots

Day 7

A jug of industrial-sized hand sanitizer? Check.

An unopened box of one thousand sanitary wipes? Check.

One time use sports gloves? Check.

Mirae entered the gymnasium prepared for the battle. The enemy was a dozen bright-eyed boys who stood at about four and a half feet. The Coach had already discharged the rest of the team to combat one on one and by the looks of it, they were outnumbered.

As the last to arrive, she could discreetly move to where the Coach had set up camp. He was oddly content.

"Well?" Coach Iwasaki asked. He gestured to the gymnasium where Itachiyama's team was practicing with their feeder middle school. The enemy, as she referred to them, was future Itachiyama students. With talent and training, they would also be Itachiyama's future volleyball team.

"Practice is going well," Mirae nodded. "I've got to say, these boys are very mature for their age."

"They're mostly intimidated by Sakusa," he frowned as his eyes glanced around the room. "Speaking of him, where is he?"

"I thought I was the last to arrive. Don't worry Coach. I'll ask the guys if they've seen him."

He reached out and tapped her shoulder. "Before you go, I saw those drafts of the team stats. I'm excited to know how it turns out."

Her cheeks blushed and she looked away. "Thanks, Coach."

"How soon can we expect an unveiling?"

"This evening."

"That's fast!" he smiled.

"Yeah, I was just waiting on some healthy-eating recipes and tips but I had help with that."

"I'm sure the team will be very appreciative."

Mirae bowed in thanks and then moved forward.

She kept her distance while saying hello to the middle schoolers and making small talk with the team. Even though the practice started twenty minutes ago, the guys had beads of sweat rolling down their faces. This was the perfect opportunity for her first assault. She plastered a candy-sweet smile and pulled the industrial-sized sanitizer from her bag. No hand was left without its dollop of the clear gel.

She had a skip in her step as she went to execute the second wave of her attack.

She rolled out two carts of volleyballs; one was filled and the other empty. She then went around the gym, asking the boys to toss the ones they were using in the empty cart and take another volleyball which she had pumped appropriately with air (and cleaned with the sanitizer wipes).

Now that she had the sweat-touched volleyballs, she parked in the corner and began a proper sanitization.

"She's adorable," Komori chuckled. He leaned against the wall, drinking from his water bottle. Ishida and Maeda joined him and the three of them watched her compulsively wipe down each ball.

Mirae had tied her long black hair into a high ponytail that was starting to drop. Her grey eyes were wide and focused. She was wearing her Karasuno manager jacket over black track pants.

"She's gorgeous."

"She's everything you want."

"To think he warned us about her."

"Right?"

"What are you three doing?" Sakusa asked.

They flinched and visibly stepped away.