24: And We Return to Karasuno Once More

Day 11

There was a lack of control and respect in the Karasuno volleyball gymnasium. At one point the vice-principal stopped by to lecture them about the noise level which could be heard from the opposite end of the school.

Coach Ukai and Takeda Sensei apologized profusely and once he had left, they turned to the team with narrowed stares.

The situation was never okay and ever since Kageyama, Shoji, and Takita returned from their training camps, it seemed to worsen.

Tsukishima stood on one side of the net. Beads of sweat rolled down his face. He fixed his glasses and prepared himself for the next spike.

Kageyama received the ball and set it with pinpoint precision to Tadashi for the third spike in a row.

"What's wrong with you, today?" Tsukishima smirked as he rolled the volleyball back. "You missed your first four spikes and now Kageyama won't set for you. It doesn't take a genius to know how sloppy your footwork is."

Hinata scowled. "I'm working on it!"

"Tsukki," Tadashi warned, "they've been working on a new technique. Just give them a few more tries."

"I don't mind. Blocking the two freaks feels good."

Kageyama narrowed his eyes. He stood by the net, waiting to receive the volleyball. It was sent over his head in a high arch. He jumped up and this time chose to send it to Hinata.

Tsukishima was watching for Tadashi's movements, but he noticed that the arch of the ball was too high. Kageyama's elbows were not bent enough. Just as Hinata slammed the ball, Tsukishima appeared before him and shut him out.

"What?"

"No!"

"How'd you read that?"

He smirked. "Kageyama's body language. He's giving away too much."

"He is?"

"I'm working on it," Kageyama snapped,

"What are you dummies even trying?"

"Before she left, Mirae told them about the style of setting she played. Now, they've been trying to learn it so the team can use it at nationals."

"Is that really smart to do right now?" he frowned. "We've got less than 2 weeks."

"We know that! But we can do it!"

"Hinata boke shut-up. You're fighting back too much, that's why he could read where I was sending the ball back."

"Excuse you, yamayama! Mirae said it's normal to fight back!"

"No she didn't! She said you have to act more shut-down like you're ready to give up."

"I- No! She didn't- no!"

"What are you smirking about?" Kageyama demanded, glaring at Tsukishima.

"I'm just one blocker and I stopped all of your tosses to him. I'm just imagining what will happen at nationals when there are two or three blockers."

"Maybe we'll see the return of the infamous King of the court," Tadashi grinned.

Tsukishima snorted and turned away to find his water bottle. Hinata gasped dramatically and pointed a finger. "You better not think you can dictate me like a dictator."

"Careful Hinata," Tsukki called, "You'll hurt yourself if you use big words."

"What'd you say?"