13: Monstrous City (Shitty) Boys

Day 5

Present Emiko now had to deal with past Emiko's decision to ruin future Emiko's life.

That night she locked herself in the bedroom she was staying in. She buried herself under the covers, snuggling Inu and exchanging memes with Kyotani Kentaro.

An hour later, when he left her on read, she made the decision to send her first ever message to Koganegawa who was a student at Date Tech.

Emiko had attended the same middle school as him for a year. He was an innocent and good kid, the only person to laugh at her jokes then. Sure, she had left, and they did not talk much until recently when they reconnected at the city finals, but they frequently commented on each other's Instagram pictures.

She spent the next hour catching up with him. Unlike Kyotani, Kogane was a spam texter. She would be in the middle of responding when he would ask another ten questions and expect detailed responses to each one. The conversation was refreshing.

When she heard the door open downstairs, she let Inu out and taped a Do not disturb I am sick sign on the door. Then, she retreated under the covers.

Suna locked the door behind him. He heard the soft sound of feet pattering down the steps and stopped to greet his dog. He looked around the living room and kitchen before making his way up the stairs. The note was taped on the door. He took a picture and sent it to Inarizaki's group chat, captioning She's sick of your guys' BS.

He texted her that dinner was ready, but she never came down.

The next day was a Saturday and the Coaches had arranged for a practice game against another high school in the area. Emiko woke up two hours earlier than she normally did. Shoving her headphones over her ears and grabbing two Monster Bulldozer 3000s in each hand, she stomped all the way to school.

Coaches Oomi and Kurosu greeted her with curious expressions. She must have looked like a rabid squirrel and Emiko realized too late that she had not brushed her hair.

She pulled her hair into a tight ponytail and got to work setting up the nets, checking the air pressure in the volleyballs, piling the jerseys, and placing chairs. She had finished just as both teams entered. Emiko dodged everyone by hiding behind the podium near the speakers.

Coach Kurosu sat beside her. Today he was feeling especially talkative.

"It's good to wake up early," he said, "my dog wakes early every morning. Fetches me the newspaper."

"Wow," Emiko drawled, slipping her headphones on, "must be an excellent dog."

"He's the best."

"I bet."

The opposing team came from Koyote High and they were Inarizaki's sworn enemy, as Yukio wrote to her through text. Coyotes versus Foxes.

Just like their mascot, the boys from Koyote were clever and larger in build.

Just like their mascot, Inarizaki was devious and sly.

"Oi, Sunarin," Atsumu called as he walked onto the court with his brother, "where's Suzuki?"

"You didn't get the message in the group chat?" he asked, refusing to look up from where he was sprawled on the ground. "She's sick."

"She ain't sick. She's lyin'."

"She's sick of your BS."

"Yers too," Osamu retorted. "Ya were in on it too, Rin. Don't play the victim game."

"Yeah no. I'm not. The difference is I fed her dumplings and spring rolls, so she likes me."

"Does not," Atsumu growled back.