Forty (Part 2)

As the man with the whip approached, those that were closer stepped back a few paces.

They must not have wanted blood getting on their fancy clothes. It was a bitch to get out.

I swallowed thickly as I watched the tail of the whip swing with each step. The rhythmic back and forth, though frightening for what it meant, was also calming as the repeated movement grounded me.

With a sharp jerk, the woman to my side pulled me to my feet. She turned us as she pulled me further into the center of the ballroom. My eyes briefly caught Cassius's as I was pulled past him and the others. They made me cower away as I passed him. His dark brows were furrowed over raging storms. They narrowed.

I quickly glanced away. They were too much and were only helping to make my body react in panic. I needed to calm down. It was always easier to block things out when I was calm and didn't struggle.

I avoided glancing at any of the others. I knew I would get nothing from Ezra, or Axel since he was preoccupied with keeping Ezra under his control. Jaxon would probably be enjoying the show since it was no longer his friend in harm's way, and Zev would have his blank mask on that wouldn't be able to hide his satisfaction.

I wouldn't blame him for reacting and lashing out the way he did if it wasn't for how ridiculous the claim he fell for was. I knew that I would be satisfied if I had the chance to watch him suffer, or anyone like him, even more so if I brought that fate upon them. That's what Zev thought he was doing.

The women holding my arms pulled me to the center of the cleared circle as the man with the whip approached from the opposite side. He had unfolded the whip and let the tail fall on the floor, trailing it over the floor behind him. As we all approached the center, a section of the marble floor rose. In the center of the circle was now a white, marble pole.

The women pushed me up against it before grabbing a hold of my hands and raising them above my head pressing them against the cold marble. My eyes widened when the marble moved like liquid, banded around my wrists, and hardened, keeping me in place. Their harsh hands finally left my body once I was secure.

I looked through the space between my raised arm and the pole and swallowed as the man came to a stop in front of me.

I gasped more in surprise than pain at the cold edge of a blade as it ran down my back, nicking my skin as it sliced through the lace holding the back of my dress closed while synching my waist. Luckily the dress had sleeves attached to the bodice so the top didn't drop and flash everyone. I could feel goosebumps erupted at the feel of the fresh breeze on my bared skin.

I clenched my fists as the tremble in my hands grew. I didn't want my fear to be seen.

The man moved, disappearing from my line of sight. It was only a moment before I felt his presence at my exposed back. If he, or anyone, was shocked by the aged scars from lashes of a belt that already lined my skin, they didn't let it show.

The queen's heels sounded like cracks of thunder as she made her way back to her seat at the raised table. She leaned back and rose a wine close of shimmering, liquid gold to her lips. The corner of her lips was quirked up as she settled in to enjoy the show. The others at the table were nonchalant to the events taking place. The girl with turquoise hair, who I assumed was the Queen's daughter, looked bored as she scrolled through her phone. Others were engaged in quiet, private conversations.

They were acting like this was a normal occurrence.

Movement sounded behind me. I stiffened. Closing my eyes, I let out a deep trembling breath, forcing my muscles to loosen.