Twenty-Nine

A sharp jab to my side had me hissing. I looked over to the source to find Zev looking down at me from the corner of his narrowed eyes.

"How do you do, Lady June?" I asked with a strained smile.

I was about to add a curtsy too, but Ezra stopped that by wrapping an arm around me and pulling me into his side. It was the first thing my mind could think of doing while combing through every film I've watched that's had a ballgown for etiquette rules. This world seemed like the kind that would stake you for using the wrong fork with the right one.

"How do you do?" Jaxon's shot towards me under his breath. While Ezra and Zev flanked me and Cassius was across the room making sure Lester had everything prepared for the guests, Jaxon stood behind me. It was doing wonders for my paranoia to not be able to see him.

"Really, that's all you got princess? These are going to be a long few days." He stepped forward and leaned down to speak into my ear. "Good thing I have a little slave to keep me entertained. That little display of defiance earlier still has my dragon clawing to get to you."

I jumped when he blew into my ear.

He laughed darkly as he stepped back.

"Lady Riar, it's so lovely to finally put a face to the woman everyone has been wondering about!" Lady June said with a bright smile. She wore a royal blue dress that reached mid-calf with matching strapped heels. Her hair was a chestnut brown and her eyes brown with blue peeking through. They were beautiful. She was beautiful.

I shifted self consciously, pulling at my dress. Standing in front of her and her perfection just emphasized my flaws.

No wonder the guys picked me to marry and threaten. No one would believe the words of the ugly girl, not when they're claiming that men who could have anyone they wanted were holding me captive. Everyone- and they have made that clear before- wanted them, so why wouldn't someone like me?

Ezra chuckled. "We wanted her all to ourselves before we had to share her with you ladies."

I almost jumped when I felt Zev's fingers on my jaw. He moved my head to face him before running his thumb over my cheek.

I did jump when I felt his lips lightly press to mine in a quick peck.

Ezra's arm around my waist tightened.

"You won't neglect us too much now, will you, doll?" He asked as he pulled away.

Lady June laughed while I stood frozen and wide-eyed looking at Zev as his contemplating cold eyes bore into mine. "Don't make any promises. I plan to monopolize your time, Lady Riar. I simply cannot pass up on any opportunity to hear all about how you tamed these five. Women have been trying for years just to fail." She shook her head and looked at me pityingly. "You, my dear, are going to have many disgruntled and slighted women on your hands. Your husbands were very highly sought after. Especially the other one that's not here," she said as she looked around the foyer.

Zev answered her unasked question. "Please accept my apologies for Axel's absence. He's making sure last-minute arrangements are made for everyone's arrival."

"Ah, yes, we should be the ones apologizing for arriving early," said one of the men at Lady June's side.

"Yes, I do apologize for that. We had to travel by vehicle. Sadly, a few of our winged steeds were poisoned a few days ago. And where are my manners? These are my husbands, Rowan, Daniel, and Micheal." Lady June said as she introduced the three men standing by her. Rowan was the blond-haired man who spoke. Daniel and Micheal both had mint blue hair. They also had similar blue eyes. Their features were too distinct to be identical twins and Micheal had a few more fine lines around his eyes than Daniel, but they appeared to be related somehow.