Twenty-Eight

A/N: Don't forget to go back and read chapter 18.5 (Zev's POV)

The next morning I woke in a haze of confusion. I wasn't used to waking up in such a large and bright room. Sun streamed in through gauzy curtains and bathed the room in a brightness that hurt my freshly awoken eyes. Squinting against the blindness, I searched for my glasses so I could prepare to face the many challenges I was sure the day would hold.

Today was the day guests would start arriving.

I don't think I realized the impact of the event until that moment. It suddenly became glaringly clear how much more mindful I would have to be.

After a quick wash in the shower- a luxury I wished to maintain after this whole party ordeal was over even though I knew I wouldn't. Maybe I could convince Ezra to run off with me. We could have quick morning showers together every morning.

Smiling, I washed my face with a bar of soap before rinsing and drying myself off and getting out and dressed in one of the light dresses that hung in the closet.

There were five distinctly set-out outfits in the closet. The first was the light, sap green dress that went to the knees that I choose to wear. It was the simplest and the most obvious choice from those set out. The second was another dress but was a dark navy blue one with long sleeves that went all the way to the floor. An evening dress. Too fancy to wear to breakfast.

The third seemed like a riding outfit. It was a pair of tight-fitted khaki pants, a white polo, and black boots. The white set of underwear to go along with it made me horrifyingly and suddenly that someone had taken the liberty to set aside a matching pair of underwear for each outfit. I ignored the lacy olive set that sat on the shelf near where I grabbed the dress I wore from. I was fine with my simple, black, cotton briefs and too-tight bra that I had on.

There was another evening gown, a lovely cream number that caught the light with a shimmer in its movements.
Beside that dress hung what I assumed I'd wear the night of the party.

It was a beautiful A-line dress that brushed the floor. Pale, pastel pink peaked through the black lace and mesh that covered the lighter layer. The corset of the dress had loose black ribbons hanging in the back, making it clear the dress wasn't designed to allow the wearer to breathe. The skirt fanned out at the waist. It reminded me of a Disney princess dress, but just less poofy.

At least I wouldn't have to work too hard to keep people out of my personal bubble. The skirt would act as a great buffer zone.

There were a few other simple dresses, shirts, skirts, and pants set out on the shelves next to the distinct outfits. I recognized them from those Ezra had forced me to purchase. I guess they didn't have assigned event times.

I froze.

Shit.

Maybe the dress I was wearing had an assigned event time.

"Shit," I repeated, verbally.

I went to grab another top from the shelf but screamed and dropped the one I had managed to get a hold of when the closet door burst open.

"Lady Riar!"

I shrunk my neck into my shoulders at the bright and cheery voice.

Her panicked gasp was what drew my eyes.

"Oh, dear, you're already dressed! My apologies, My Lady. I won't be late in the future!" she said. Her head was bowed as she stared hard at the ground with her hands tightly fisted in the black skirt of the simple black dress she wore. She had a plump frame and was at least half a foot taller than me and had orange hair. Like a carrot. She tried to hide it, but I could see the faint tremble of fear that worked its way through her limbs.