Twenty-Six

A/N: I decided to add the different POV chapters since they provide some important information.

Cassius Montgomery

I unbuttoned my suit jacket as I leaned back. The girl scuttled out the door, leaving a faint scent of fear lingering in the air. It was soft and delicate, but still the familiar sour scent of fear that left a bad taste in your mouth.

I rubbed my lip as I picked up one of the documents and looked at her scratched signature. It was rough and abrupt, just like her. One moment she'd be afraid, the next she would let her anger control her and act in the moment. Like an idiot.

She was a peculiar girl.

I hadn't had much of a chance to pay attention to her while she had been here, but the glimpse that I caught just fed my suspicions.

She had been taking everything in stride from the moment we had first met.

Too well.

She hadn't put up a fight aside from jumping out of the car like a simpleton. A normal woman would have done more. At the very least I was expecting another escape attempt.

I sighed as I placed the signed documents into my desk drawer. I could have gone about getting her to sign them in a kinder manner, but I was too irritated that I now needed her signatures to complete basic paperwork for the property and businesses that I had been managing since the first day.

It didn't matter. I wasn't trying to be her friend. It would actually work in my favour if she feared me. Less effort would be necessary to gain her cooperation if she followed along out of fear.

Turning on my computer, I opened the digital data that I had requested from the archives on dimensional travel. It had cost me a large sum to gain the information and keep any notes of its acquirement off the records.

The girl seemed fine and even though Ezra had taken a liking to her, something about her story didn't add up. Aside from her odd calmness surrounding the misfortunes she's had to face, if the portal that was activated was located where the scrying mirror had shown us, that raised the question of why she was there.

It had shown an abandoned building left to become ruins. The ceiling had caved in multiple places and leaves and debris had overtaken the floor, covering the ruins that marked the circle.

The girl had secrets.

Just because she wasn't a threat to us, didn't mean that she wasn't one; that she couldn't become one to us.

I opened one of the drawers and pulled out one of the specialty cigars Zev had gifted me last winter and cut off the end. Conjuring a flame, I put it to my lips and lit it.

The girl was already a threat if I was being honest. She was more dangerous than I had realized she would be; more dangerous than I think any of us could have predicted.

I had seen her kind before; been lured in and trapped by her kind before.

It was always the ones with those eyes.

It always started with the eyes.

The ones that begged you. The ones that pleaded. They were desperate...but, yet they were also fierce. They dared you. They begged you for help, but they dared you to actually do it- challenged you to see what the consequences would be.

And the results would always be consequences. Nothing good ever came from the begging eyes who dared. Who challenged and rebelled and put on brave faces while filling rooms with their scent of fear.