Five

The rustling of leaves and singing of birds could be heard drifting through the cool air. Opening my eyes, I was momentarily blinded by a beam of sunlight streaming in through a small open window. A gentle breeze caused me to shiver as goosebumps broke out on my skin.

Confused, I looked around the small, empty, white room. It was the size of a prison cell. With my blurry vision, I could make out the small open window located high up high on the wall, like those found in basements. It was to the left of where the twin, metal-framed bed I lay on was pushed into the corner. A small oak desk with a wooden stool was located under the window. It doubled as a side table as it was pushed up against the bed. There was an oak dresser that matched the desk against the left wall and a door located on the wall opposite the window.

I shook my head that felt like it was filled with cotton. Reaching out my arm, I blindly patted the desk in search of my glasses. My movements felt strained and sluggish like I was trying to move my arm through maple syrup. When my fingers came in contact with the cool plastic frame I was searching for, a lazy smile formed on my lips.

I couldn't remember the last time I smiled.

Putting them on brought the bare, empty room into focus, as well as the white bandages covering my arm as I moved to put it back down. Patches of brown identified where blood had seeped through and dried. That was going to hurt when it came time to remove them.

I pushed up against the stiff mattress to sit up. That was when I felt the first twinge of pain shoot through my side and chest. Slightly panting, I leaned against the painted concrete wall behind me once I was able to sit up. My whole body felt heavy and weighed down. Whatever drugs were in my system made everything seem like a hazy dream, but I was glad for that because it kept me from waking up in pure agony.

I look down at my bandaged arms. I was wearing a large, white, cotton shirt that I didn't recall ever seeing in my limited wardrobe before. It was too clean, new, and big to be mine. It went down to mid-thigh. I was only wearing a pair of underwear underneath it. What happened to my bra? I always wore one, it added a layer of protection against his assaults. Not that it helped much.

I looked back around the room and furrowed my brows in confusion. I didn't recognize it. Did he decide to move me? Usually, when I woke up covered in injuries, it was on the floor in the same place where I lost consciousness and I definitely wasn't cleaned up and bandaged. I had to do that myself before starting on my chores.

I gasped. Chores!

My eyes darted towards the window. The sun made it clear that I was far beyond a little late.

I pushed the thin, scratchy blanket off my legs and discovered they too were bandaged. I probably looked like a mummy.

Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I sat up with a groan. Taking a deep breath, I gripped the corner of the desk and the edge of the mattress to support myself as I got to my feet. It took a few tries but I managed to stand on the cold concrete floor. A thin layer of sweat covered my forehead and my bare legs shook from the exertion.

Pants. I needed pants. I looked over towards the dresser. All I needed to do was take two or three steps to reach it. I could do this. Letting go of the desk. I took a step forward. The moment I transferred the weight between my legs, my knee buckled. Panicking, I dropped my bodyweight forwards and grabbed the edge of the dresser as my knee hit the hard ground.