Twenty-Five

I hastily signed my name across the first paper. I could feel Cassius's eyes watching me. When I lifted my hand, he placed the next one that needed signing in front of me.

As I quickly looked over the pages, I caught familiar words I recognized all related to property, taxes, bills, and finances.

As I continued to sign, his gaze started to feel heavier.

"You should be more thankful for who you've been married to. Back home, someone like you wouldn't have even been allowed into the same room as the five of us, let alone even be considered for marriage."

I snorted quietly. "We're not back at your home now, are we?"

I didn't know what he was trying to get at with his remark. I wouldn't want to be near any of the five regardless of location. Ezra was the only exception and I was sure if I was asked a few weeks ago I would have included him with the rest. They were all a little controlling and scary for my taste.

"You wouldn't want to go where I come from, Ms. Riar. You wouldn't last long.

My eyes narrowed. He had struck a nerve. Who was he to tell me what I could handle when he had no clue what I have handled?

"But you do," I said, straightening. "You clearly want to go home, so why don't you? All I've heard is everyone complaining about the women here. If it's so bad, then leave. That way the five of you wouldn't have to be stuck with me either."

I was getting sick of hearing all about how women were the big bad monsters. I hadn't witnessed much aside from the few incidents in the crowded streets, but even those were too distant in my memory with all the new things I had learned and encountered on a daily. Those men- the ones who suffered- I felt for, but these- these men who claimed they had no power while lording theirs over me? The only thing I felt for them was a steadily growing anger and irritation.

Why couldn't they be like Ezra and give me a chance? Or better yet, why couldn't they just leave me alone. Completely.

That's all I ever want, to be left alone.

If Cassius had a home elsewhere, why not go and live there? They didn't seem like they were trapped here or anything. That way this whole abduction and forced marriage thing wouldn't have had to happen.

One moment I was facing off against Cassius, the next he was gone. His seat was empty.

I jumped as I felt warm air shift the hair near my ear. I could feel a large presence behind me.

"I think you're letting Ezra's affections and attention get to your head, pet." Cassius placed his large hands on the desk on either side of me, trapping me. "Watch how you speak to me."

I swallowed and nodded. It felt like a thick humidity was filling the air, making it harder to breathe.

Cassius stayed towering over me for a few more moments. I refused to move or look back at him. He had already put me in my place verbally. It would be in my best interest to play the part to avoid any physical reinforcement.

The air shifted and Cassius was standing at my side with an open folder. He placed it on the desk and slide it in front of me. "Last one."

My fingers tightened on the pen. I signed. It wasn't like I had a choice. I was just a puppet playing her part.

Once I was done, I neatly placed the pen on top of the paper. "If that's all, may I be excused?" I politely asked through clenched teeth. This man grated against the very nerves that Ezra had set on fire before soothing. I want to leave before I did something I regretted.