18.5 (Zev)

Zev Dubois

I rushed back inside to the site of buckets and tools scattered over the floor. Axel had decided to throw a fit and flip a table. It was strange seeing him like this- so out of control.

I sighed as he threw a glass bottle against one of the stalls, spooking the griffin who resided within. Lyria, my Pegasus, snorted and stomped her foot in annoyance.

"Control yourself," I said, kicking away one of the broken shards that landed by my foot. It made the memory of stomping Damanea's hand into broken glass flash in my mind.

I've been through worse. Trust me, I'm fine.

I clenched my teeth. Her words had me re-evaluating everything. A feeling of doubt had been forming in the days following that incident. She hadn't been acting as I had predicted. It angered and frustrated me more than if she followed the script that had been written in my head. Plus, I didn't like the creeping feeling that her unexpected behaviour was bringing out in me.

They were ones I was familiar with once long ago.

They were what caused my downfall.

What made me weak and vulnerable.

I felt like joining Axel in throwing a fit as memories of her bombarded my mind. I had erased her from my mind years ago. Now, this girl who reminded me of a toy, a doll, was bringing them back. Bringing back the emotions that lured me in, that tricked my once innocent heart with each marred memory. I could feel my resolve to break her softening.

Maybe I didn't have to break her.

With everything that happened these last two days along with her words, it was starting to seem like she was already a broken doll.

Damage recognized damage.

And it started becoming glaringly obvious my biases may have been blinding me. The events and her reaction last night just made me take notice.

I was alarmed to notice that concern was beginning to worm its way into my thoughts. Something about how calm she acted after being attacked made a part of me react. Maybe it was because I recognized that dead look in her eyes. It was the one I had seen for years every time I had looked into a mirror.

"I'm trying to but I fucking can't!" Axel shouted before sitting his ass on a bale and gripping his hair in his fists. "I knew it would be hard, but not this hard. I haven't had problems going this long without feeding before. I don't know why, but I can barely control myself around her. I'm surprised I haven't ripped off her clothes and fucked her into the ground already! I know I sure as shit want to."

I frowned. He was right. I had witnessed him take longer abstinence breaks after being tricked by particularly manipulative women. He didn't struggle even half as much then.

"Well, try harder," I said, providing no help.

But maybe I should make more of an effort.

I wanted to groan. I didn't want to be concerned enough to try to control the grown-ass incubus. There was no room for concern regarding women in my cold, dead heart. She was the reason it was dead. The women in this Queendom I found myself trapped in were the reason it was increased in layers of ice.