CHAPTER 61 | the trap

DEVYN'S POV

Warm arms wrap around me as I stand before the body-length mirror and don my cuff links. I lean into the man holding me and let out a pent up sigh.

"How are you?" Denzyl asks comfortingly.

"Nervous."

"Do you still want to go?"

I nod through the mirror. "I can't afford to miss it."

Denzyl nods in understanding and kisses the top of my head. Noticing his tie is loose, I turn around in the demon's arms and take his tie in my hands. Denzyl smiles down at me as I tighten the tie and smooth out his shirt and vest.

"You ready?" I ask as Denzyl's hands slide down to my waist.

"Mm hmm," Denzyl nods. "Are you?"

I nod before sweeping a loose strand of hair out of Denzyl's forehead. "You look nice all dressed up," I compliment with a smile.

"Only the best for you," Denzyl smiles back.

"Tsh," I roll my eyes slightly at the cheesiness.

"What? You said you like it," Denzyl pouts.

I look up at his face and cannot help but laugh a little. How can a pouting demon look so cute? He could tear me to smithereens, and I would still say "how cute!"

"Come on," I shake off my chuckle and take Denzyl's hand. "We don't want to be late."

✨✨✨✨

"Mr. Devyn Vaumyr," the man at the entrance announces as I enter the conference room followed by Denzyl and Astrid. Numerous CEOs and group leaders have already assembled, producing a quiet rumble of conversation which is momentarily disrupted when I enter. Several heads turn to look my way, eyes following me as I walk to my chair. Once I am seated, the quiet rumble continues. Denzyl stands directly behind me while Astrid takes a chair lined against the wall with a desk provided for secretaries to easily take notes.

"Mr. Vaumyr," a voice to my right sounds.

I turn and greet the man, "Mr. Medea."

"How has business been?" The man inquires.

I take a good look at Jon Medea, CEO of Medea Tech, who hardly ever greets me, the supposed young, naive puppet CEO of Vaumyr and Co. who was fighting to get his company back. So why is Medea talking to me now? Has word of me holding the most shares already spread this quickly? Wil must be fuming if he knows this many people are aware of him losing control over Vaumyr and Co..

However, this may not be the only reason Medea greeted me, so I remain cautious and answer carefully. "Business has been business. Nothing eventful has occurred. Vaumyr and Co. is still Vaumyr and Co.."

"Really now?" Medea scoffs with a raised brow and chuckle.

"Mm," I raise my brow back at him. "Was something eventful supposed to happen?" I ask in a low tone, hoping to poke out some information.

Medea laughs nervously. "Forgive my rudeness. I just meant to congratulate you on owning thirty-seven percent of the shares to Vaumyr and Co.."

"Vaumyr and Co. is my company. Is it such an event for the CEO to own his company?" I retort even though I am aware of the big splash the news must have made. Most of the CEOs here do not own their company. I am one of the few.

"It is such a feat. A feat to be congratulated. If we had champagne, I would toast you."

"I appreciate the congratulations."