CHAPTER 16 | i can't let you die

DENZYL'S POV

Devyn is unconscious by the time I get him to the surface. I bring him to the shore and carry him through the rainfreeze. Why does he have to be so strong-headed?

I walk along the cliffside until I find an inhabitable hole. After I set Devyn down, I gather some twigs and branches brought in by animals and start a fire. I take off my shirt and blow hot air on it to dry it.

I slip the warmed shirt over Devyn's body and lie down next to him. I wrap the shivering human in my arms and channel my warmth into him. Hopefully his soul did not get too cold. Worry takes over as I realize what sea Devyn fell into.

The Soul Sea is a notorious suicide area on Sendrum. Beautiful as it may be, the crystal clear water of the sea freezes one's soul. The person will then forever be trapped inside their frozen soul never to be released. Demons and slaves often jump into the sea to escape their torments.

I hold Devyn tighter and give him more warmth as he continues to shiver. My chest aches as I begin to feel the effects of the sea, but I continue giving my warmth to Devyn.

The wound on my side is nearly healed, but the blood loss is substantial. Hot liquid covers my hands. I pull them away to see they are covered with blood. I roll Devyn over and take off the shirt. His wounds ooze blood and pus. I will have to burn the infection out and cauterize the wounds.

"I'm sorry, Devyn," I apologize as I place my hands on the human's back.

My hands glow red as I cauterize Devyn's wounds. He does not even flinch. I guess that is one upside to your soul slowly freezing.

I slip the shirt back on after letting the newly cauterized slashes breathe. I wrap one arm around Devyn's lower back and place the other hand on the back of his head before pulling him in and continuing to give him warmth.

Devyn's body eventually dries, but he continues to shake. I cradle his head and nestle him into me. Eventually, I fall asleep from lack of blood and exhaustion.

I wake a few days later. My soul has grown colder, and Devyn is still shaking in my arms. His state has worsened, but the constant heat has kept him alive. There is now only one way to save him.

I peer out of the hole. The rainfreeze has stopped, and dark clouds cover the sky. I cradle Devyn in my arms and exit the hole. I walk along the cliffside in search of a secluded cave which neither demons nor animals frequent. I have to make sure my clan does not find us.

I walk for a day until a small inconsistency in the side of the cliff catches my eye. As we near, the inconsistency in the cliff's folds and juts reveals itself to be an opening. Relieved, I slip through the slim gap.

The slit leads to a narrow and tall cut-out in the cliff. I walk to the back of the slit and set Devyn on the ground. Daylight barely reaches the back of the slit.

I touch Devyn's forehead. He is growing colder. I quickly lie down beside him and wrap my arms around his cold body.

"Okay." I let out a breath and steady myself. I close my eyes and concentrate as I prepare to form a soul crypt.

I have never made a soul crypt before. I have only heard about them from the elders. Holding Devyn, I focus my energy on him. After a moment, a thin, red-orange crystalline structure begins to form around us. Yes!

When the crystalline crypt is half-way formed, a sudden gust of wind blows through the slit, startling me. I lose my concentration, and the crypt shatters.

I heave a breath and try again. This time, the case shatters nearly as soon as it begins to form. I let out a sigh and retry. It shatters as soon as it establishes itself.

My energy lessens with each failed attempt. Why won't it work?! It shatters every time!

I look down to see Devyn still shivering. Desperation fills me, and I try again. I let out a yell as it shatters over us, punching my fist into the ground.

Aaaaaghhh!! Tears fill my eyes as I channel more warmth into Devyn. A tear falls on his cheek as I hold him tightly.

"I'm so sorry." I rest my head on Devyn's forehead. His weak breathing sparks a fire of determination in me. "No, I can't let you die."

I shield Devyn as the fifth attempt shatters. Argghhh!! I put my head on Devyn's chest and let the tears flow. I have come this far! How can I give up?!

Thnxx for reading!!
Will Denzyl be able to save Devyn?
Let me know what you think in the comments!!
As always, feel free to ask me anything anytime 💙
Enjoy and Happy Reading!