CHAPTER 46 | i'll take care of him

CASTYR'S POV

I keep my eyes on the broad shoulders of the demon walking in front of me as I am lead through the fire-lit corridors of Hades. Two young demons accompany Aklys as the demon general escorts me to my cell. My heart skips as shouts and cries of pain echo throughout the prison.

Kilo had to go through this for fifty years?? Instead of skipping, my heart aches as I think of my angel. I did not want to leave him all alone, but it was the only way to save him...and Devyn...and Denzyl. Okay, now I do not feel so bad. At least Kilo has Devyn and Denzyl.

Aklys leads me down a long set of stairs to a short hallway lined with barred cages. We pass several empty cells until we come to a cage with one prisoner. Aklys' face pales at the sight of the unconscious man lying on the ground. Shock runs through me as I stare at the collapsed man. His hands are cuffed, and a thick chain is clasped around his neck, stopping him from moving more than ten feet away from the wall.

"You may go," Aklys addresses the two demon guards behind me. "I will put the prisoner into his cell. Go inform the king of the star's arrival."

The two guards bow and salute their general before exiting the hall. Aklys hurriedly places his hand on the screen in front of the cell and opens the cage's door. The demon instantly rushes in and cradles the prisoner in his arms.

"What did you do this time? Huh?" Small tears escape the corner of Aklys' eye as the general tries to wake the prisoner. "Why did you have to rescue another one?"

I cautiously enter the cage after determining this will be my cell. I will take care of this man. My head snaps towards the entrance as the sound of approaching footsteps reaches my ears.

"Ummmm...Aklys?" I slowly address the demon general.

The demon fights to control his tears as he looks up at me, his long, slender fingers in the man's silver-blue hair.

"You should probably go." I gesture to the door. "Don't worry. I'll take care of him," I give a small, reassuring smile.

Aklys takes one more long look at the prisoner before gently laying him down and exiting the cage. He closes the door behind him, leaving me with the unconscious man. After drying his eyes and regaining his poise, Aklys turns and walks up the stairs just as the door opens and a new prisoner is limply dragged inside between two demons.

I give a small gasp as I turn my attention towards the man collapsed in front of me. Blood stains the floor around him. His skin is covered in slashes and bruises, and one of his eyes is swollen shut. Kneeling beside my cell mate, I gently lift his head and set it in my lap. I extend my glow to cover the male's body. It will take a few days to completely heal him since I have to keep my glow at a minimum.

TIME SKIP: 4 HOURS

Quiet shuffling from two cells down catches my attention as I shift into a more comfortable position. The slender prisoner dragged in recently sits up and looks at me with wide eyes. His eyes shift from the man in my arms to the glow surrounding us. A trail of blood trickles down his face from his temple.

I flick a finger at him. A small ball of light emerges from the flick and floats through the cages. With my guidance, the small ball rests on the bloody gash. After a few seconds, the light seeps into the wound, healing it. The black-haired prisoner slowly brings his hand to his temple and feels the smooth skin. His mouth parts as he looks at me. The boy quickly bows his head in thanks.

I smile at the boy. I did not even know I could do that. Nice.

Turning my attention back to the wounded man in my arms, I move a loose strand of hair from his bloodied face and give a yawn. I blink my eyes as exhaustion takes over. Why am I so tired?

Oh, that's right. I was also stabbed through by a sword just last night. That will do it.

The herbs Aklys put on the wound are speeding up the healing process, though, so that is good.

My eyes widen as an idea pops into my head. I pull down my shirt so my shoulder is bare and wipe the herbs off the wound with my index and middle fingers. Lifting the man's shirt with my free hand, I gently rub the herbs onto a gruesome gash in his side. There. That should help. A proud smile makes its way onto my face. You will not die as long as I am here.

I do not know what you did to get tortured like this, but you definitely deserve to live.

My eyes droop, so I scoot down to lie beside the man. Keeping my hand on his side to continuously channel my light, I allow myself to catch up on some very much needed sleep.