CHAPTER 44 | rae

KILO'S POV

A ringing in my ears wakes me. I groan as I sit up and rub the back of my head where the demons rendered me unconscious. My heart breaks as I remember Aklys carrying Castyr onto the demon ship. I should have protected him! Why couldn't I keep him safe? Tears threaten to come pouring, but a small voice saves me.

Kilo, are you awake now?

Castyr?! My heart thumps as I hear my star's voice in my head. Where are you? Are you alright?

I'm fine. Aklys is making sure I don't die. He shoved some pain killers down my throat. He's an odd demon.

Don't worry. I'll find you. We have the link.

Yaaaaaaa. Why do you think I had us connect in the first place? It was in case something like this happened.

Mmm. My smart star. I love you, Castyr.

I love you, too, Kilo, but you better hurry your butt up. I don't want to have all my light drained out of me when I am only a hundred-and-sixty-four! I am too young to die. Plus, I still have a whole list of places I want to visit.

Don't worry. We will go to all of them. I promise.

Okay. Good. A small pause comes before Castyr says, Aklys is giving me funny looks. He might be wondering why I am smiling after I have just been captured. I gotta go.

Stay safe, Love.

I love you!

I love you, Castyr.

I let out a sigh as Castyr withdraws from my mind. His presence is still there, but it is not as strong as when we are conversing. I instantly look around. Denzyl is holding an unconscious Devyn in his lap. My heart pings with pain as I see Devyn and Denzyl together, making me miss my star even more. I stand and walk over to the demon and human.

"What happened? Where is Castyr?" Denzyl asks as I reach him.

"Aklys took him."

"Will he be alright?"

"I'll find him. Even if I have to burn all of Hades, I'll find him."

A small moan from Devyn has Denzyl immediately tending to the human. Devyn hurriedly sits up and looks around.

"Oh no! Castyr! He was-"

"Don't worry. We'll find him," Denzyl assures his human.

"Okay," Devyn nods. Denzyl looks down at the human fondly before helping him stand.

We all groan and cover our eyes as a blue flash pulses from a spot about ten yards in front of us.

"What is it now?" The demon growls in annoyance, causing me to smirk. Denzyl probably just wants to be with Devyn somewhere warm and safe. I am sure this is not how he imagined his day to go.

The three of us look to see a man standing in the center of the area of the origin of the flash. He looks around in a daze. I squint my eyes and step closer. Why does he look familiar? Devyn tosses his empty gun and advances behind Denzyl and me. I cautiously make my way up to the man.

Wings the color of a rich chocolate emerge from the man as he senses us.

"Wait!" I call as the man prepares to flee.

He turns around slowly, his dark brown eyes gazing at me in trauma and confusion.

"I think we've met before," I continue.

The man just looks at me like I am a lunatic.

"The Transport Tower on Earth fifty years ago. Weren't you with an angel named Ilios?"

The man looks at me in shock as I say the name 'Ilios.' "You know Ilios? Is he alright? Where is he?" He inquires frantically.

"Are you...Rae?" I recall the name Ilios had asked me about when I had met him at the base.

He nods. "How do you know me?"

"I am Kilo. The angel who fought with you in the tower."

His eyes widen. "You are! How did you get out?"

"A silver-winged angel."

"Me, too."

"Was he an actaeon?" I inquire, recalling the angel who saved me from Hades.

Rae nods. "What about Ilios? Is he....."

"Ilios is in Heaven. He won back the transport tower and returned to Heaven."

"Won back the tower? What happened? How long has it been?" The tall angel looks around in confusion.

"It's been fifty years."

Rae looks at me in shock. "Fif-fifty years?" The angel takes a moment to process the information. "Where am I?" He inquires as he gazes at the rising sun.

"You're on Earth. The actaeon also transferred me to Earth, but to a different city."

"Earth. Okay." Rae bobs his head a few times before adding, "Oh, one thing: the actaeon told me there is a mole in Heaven. Heaven has been compromised."

I hang my head as I take in the news. "I had guessed as much." Some things happened that do not make sense.

"Wait...so, Heaven isn't safe?" Devyn speaks up.

I turn to the human and nod.

"And this...angel...was teleported here or something by an...actaeon who told the angel there is a mole in Heaven?" Devyn kindly sums up as he tries to process everything.

Rae's eyes suddenly flash golden as he smells Denzyl. "Why is there a demon here?" The angel growls.

Devyn immediately steps in front of Denzyl as the demon's eyes turn red, ready to defend himself.

"It's okay, Major. He's not a demon from Hades," I try to calm the angel.

"It doesn't matter where he is from. It's a demon!" Rae would have drawn his sword except for the fact that a scar peeks out from the angel's shirt and runs up his neck.

"He saved Castyr and I. Major, please," I plead.

Rae's eyes eventually turn back to their rich brown as he studies the demon apprehensively. Devyn's fast breathing slowly reaches its normal pace, but the human does not move an inch until Denzyl nudges Devyn to step behind him.

"I am Denzyl of Sendrum." Rae's eyes widen as the demon bows in front of him.

"Rae," the angel responds cautiously before relaxing his body in a sign of peace. "So, uh, why are we out here?" Rae gestures to the vast fields surrounding the group.

"...Uh...Castyr and I were going to go back to Heaven...but..." I trail off, my eyes swelling.

"Castyr was taken by Hades," Devyn answers for me in a soft voice.

"Castyr...the star? The one that was with Ilios?"

I nod. "Did you and Ilios bond with each other?"

The angel nods and hangs his head. "We did, but I've kept if off. I didn't want him to go through any pain."

"Maybe you should open it up and contact him," I suggest.

Rae looks up and smiles, dimples revealing themselves in his cheeks. "I'll do that."

"But not here. Let's get somewhere safe."

"Back to the company?" Devyn chimes in.

"Back to the company."

My heart is heavy as we set off for the city, an emptiness filling me. Even though Castyr linked me and told me he is alright, I get antsy as time goes by and Castyr does not reach out. Is he alright? What is happening? I relax a little as the smallest presence nudges me through the link. Castyr is back! He links me just enough to let me know he is still there.

Don't worry, Castyr, I'm coming.