CHAPTER 33 | cold brutality

KILO'S POV

The wind caresses Castyr's hair as he leans against me. I pull the blanket around us tighter as a gush of cool air flows over the rooftop. I rest my chin on the star's shoulder and breathe in his comforting scent. After filling myself with Castyr's scent, I plant a kiss on his neck. The star smiles and hums happily.

"Ah! There it is," Castyr exclaims quietly as he points to the skyline. I follow his hand to find the first sun ray peaking over the city's skyline. I smile as I watch Castyr gaze at the sunrise.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Castyr turns to look at me.

"Mmm." You are the most beautiful. My gaze falls to his lips, and I cannot help myself. I lean in and press my lips to his. Castyr smiles as he returns the kiss. My hand moves to his lower back, and I pull him into me.

A reminder for the meeting sounds from Castyr's wrist device. Keeping my lips on his, my hand flows from the back of Castyr's neck, down his arm from the shoulder, and stops on his wrist. Castyr chuckles cutely as I cancel the alarm. After one more deep kiss, Castyr pulls away and smiles at me.

"We should probably go."

"Mmm," I nod as Castyr stands to his feet. Standing, I take off the blanket and lay it over Castyr's shoulders.

"Thank you," he smiles and looks up at me with bright eyes. We take one more look at the sun painting the sky before exiting the roof and making our way to Conference Room 204.

Colonel Ilios joins us in the conference room once we are seated. Major Azyr and Major Sinjae accompany the colonel along with the leader of Beta Team.

"Somehow, your identity as a star is known to Hades," Ilios begins. "New troops arrive today, so we will focus on getting you back to Heaven. I have notified General Roeden of the situation. He agrees that we should get you to safety and then work on a plan."

"Yes, sir. Ithyos needs to be recharged as well. It is time I go back," Castyr responds.

"Good. Lieutenant Kilo will take you back to Heaven tonight."

I nod in agreement, happy to take my star back home.

"One thing you mentioned in your brief, Castyr, has been bothering me. You said the demon tried to subdue you instead of killing you, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"They have a plan, then, and they need you alive," Ilios determines. "We're working on extracting information from the demon we captured last night, but he hasn't said anything as of yet."

"Let me interrogate the prisoner," I speak up. "I have...experience."

Castyr looks at me with worry. Are you sure?

I continue looking at Ilios, but Castyr notices my hands are clenched. I have to find out everything the demon knows, and the only way to do that is to use Hades' methods as demons are the masterminds behind the technique of torture.

"Very well," the colonel nods. "Major Sinjae will lead you to him. Good luck," Ilios agrees before standing and leaving the room.

Castyr and I exit the conference room and follow Sinjae to a building towards the center of base.

"He's being held on level B4," Sinjae tells me.

Castyr takes my hand as I start towards the building. "You don't have to do this."

"We need to know," I turn to look at him. I try not to show it, but my eyes are filled with desperation and fear. "I need to know so I can protect you. I can't lose you, Castyr."