CHAPTER 29 | please, hold on

OMNISCIENT POV

Shouts and yells ring throughout the stone halls of the stronghold of Hades. Objects are thrown and smashed as the king of Hell scorns a demon kneeling before his throne.

"You dare return in defeat?!" The king strikes the demon across the face. "You could not keep the tower and you could not find the star!"

A strike on the face usually does not draw blood from the demon general. But this strike is from the king of Hades. The demon spits the blood on the ground as the king storms to his throne.

"Bring him!" The king commands.

The demon struggles to hide a face of pain and torment as a silver-blue haired angel is dragged in limply. The angel is thrown at the king's feet where he is kicked down the jagged stone steps. The demon restrains himself from rushing to the angel. Blood oozes from the many marks of torture torn in the angel's flesh.

"We had a deal," the king growls. He signals a guard who walks up to the angel and grabs him by the hair. The guard lifts the angel's head back and places a sharp dagger on his throat. The angel's eyes flicker open slowly, revealing golden-honey eyes.

"I'll do it! I'll find and bring you the star! Please, give me another chance," the demon pleads with the king of Hades.

"Bring him to me before the blood sun. And keep in mind, I need that star specifically."

"Yes, sire," the demon bows his head.

"I would advise you to hurry. I am losing my patience. He has already transferred five angels!!" The king yells and gestures to the prisoner.

A small smirk forms on the angel's lips as if to say "Fuck you." The guard removes the dagger, revealing a red cut on the angel's throat. A groan escapes the angel's lips as he is roughly dragged away. The demon watches the angel get hauled away with sad, longing eyes before backing out of the king's throne room.

"Aklys!"

The demon stops in the hallway outside the throne room as a younger demon races up to him.

"What did he say?"

"He gave me until the blood sun," Aklys responds.

"That's good. What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to find the star. Ready my men. We leave in two hours."

"Yes, sir," the younger demon rushes off while Aklys lingers in the hallway.

A cry of pain echoes from below. Aklys clenches his fists as he recognizes the voice of the one in torment.

"Hold on, Orion. Please, hold on." The demon fights the coming tears and storms off to prepare for departure.

LOCATION CHANGE: SENDRUM

TIME SKIP: ONE MONTH BEFORE KILO ESCAPES HADES

DEVYN'S POV

The shattering of the crypt wakes me. I breathe in fresh air and open my eyes. Warm breath caresses my skin. I look at the sleeping Denzyl beside me. My eyes wander to his long lashes and pointed nose. Why is he still asleep? The crypt is gone. I poke his arm: no response.

I look around us. We are still in the slit in the cliff. My back itches, so I reach to scratch it. I quickly pull my hand away when I remember my wounds. But, strangely, my back does not hurt...it itches. I slowly reach my arm behind me and feel my back. The wounds are gone. There are not even scars.

Is this why Denzyl is still in a coma? He healed me. I let Denzyl sleep and use my arm as a pillow as I look at him.

Entranced by the man in front of me, I do not see the people approaching the slit until I hear the cry, "The crypt is gone!"

The call sends adrenaline pumping through my veins. I look in horror as six demons enter the slit. I nudge Denzyl.

"Hey, Denzyl. Wake up. Denzyl!"

I try to stand as the demons reach me, but my body is still recovering from coming out of a coma.

"Who are you?" I ask defensively.

A demon in the front of the pack snickers. "Take him." Two demons step forward to obey the command and grab me.

"Why isn't he waking up?" Another demon asks.

"He used too much energy. He won't be awake for a while," the first demon answers before turning to me. "In the meantime, we have this one to play with," he sneers.

I struggle against my captors, but my strength can not even compare to theirs.

"Bring Denzyl, too. We have some questions for him," the demon orders.

Two demons pick Denzyl up as I am dragged out of the cliff. I am tied and gagged and thrown into the back of a hover craft waiting outside the slit. Denzyl is laid down next to me. After about four hours, the craft enters a medium-sized town.

I am dragged to a building towards the edge of the town and thrown into a cage. What is going on? Are these people Denzyl's clan? Where is Denzyl?

I lie in the cell for nearly two hours before the lead demon from the cliff walks into the hold. He unlocks the cage and enters. I shrink away as he leans down next to me and holds a piece of bread to my lips. I jerk my head away. Flames flicker in the demon's eyes, and he grabs my hair. He yanks my head back and forces me to look at him.

"Obey me while I'm being nice. You can either eat this, or..." he looks down, "...something else."

I stare at him with rage and disdain. I jerk the bread out of his hand and slowly begin eating it. I would have been hungry, but this sicko completely made my hunger vanish. Fear consumes me as the demon watches me with perverted lust. I have seen the look in his eyes before. I slow my eating even more as I dread what is to come once I finish.

I take a shaky breath as I look at the last bite in my hands. I put the last piece in my mouth and chew slowly, fearing the last swallow.

"Good! Now that you've got some energy," the demon grabs my tied hands and loops them to a chain hooked to the top of the cage. He then exits the cage and drags in a chair. He sits in it before lifting me and forcing me to straddle his lap.

I twist and struggle against the demon as he gags me. "Can't have you waking the neighbors."

I shiver in disgust as the demon runs his hands up my legs and slides them under Denzyl's shirt. My entire being is repulsed by his loveless touches and movements. I begin to panic as his hands run down my body and start unbuckling my pants. I kick with all my might, but the demon subdues me. My mind calls out for help. Denzyl, where are you?!