CHAPTER 51 | punish me, not him

CASTYR'S POV

I begin to worry when Orion does not wake up and start sending more light balls to his bleeding body.

"Why isn't Aklys back yet?" He has been gone for nearly two weeks. I fret before recalling that he was sent to capture Ilios. A whole new wave of worry washes over me as I hope that Ilios stays safe. Determination fills me, and I begin sending light to Orion wildly. I ignore the fatigue creeping over me, scared that I will not be able to keep Orion from the brink.

"Woah, woah. Slow down," Erin says as he gently grabs my shoulders. My body breaks at his touch. The demon catches me as I slump and leans me against his chest. My eye lids droop as I lean on Erin for support. "Woah, you're heavier than you look," the demon grunts.

"It's just because you're quiet small for a demon." I instantly bite my tongue. If I were in my right mind, I would not have said such a thing. "Sorry," I immediately apologize.

"It's okay," Erin chuckles as he helps me lean against the cage.

This is the first time I have seen him smile. His teeth are white and pretty, and his lips are a light pink. His eyes make a cute moon shape, his dark lashes defining the half-moon and covering most of his black eyes. But as soon as the pretty smile comes, it is gone. Instead, Erin clutches his heart and doubles over in pain.

"What's wrong?" I reach out and grab the demon's shoulders to steady him.

"Ben. Benni is in trouble," Erin gasps through the pain.

Ignoring my throbbing headache, I begin channeling light into Erin. Even though it is a small amount, it seems to help as Erin's breathing gradually becomes less strained and he can sit up straight.

"Ben..." I begin. "Is he your partner?"

Erin nods slowly, a look of longing covering him.

"You guys have a link?"

He nods. "They forced us to mark each other when we got taken, so we can always feel each other's pain."  Erin slides down his tattered shirt to reveal the front of his shoulder just below his collarbone where a beautiful black mark stains his pale skin. "It's a form of punishment for falling in love."

[Erin's Mark

[Erin's Mark. Cr: WeiDao]

The mark is beautiful, but my heart aches at the thought of its purpose. "That's awful."

"I actually don't mind it, except that it hurts Benni when I am...you know..."

I let out a breath and nod in understanding.

"But it is nice to be able to feel each other and know the other is alive."

I continue to nod. I know from experience that I would rather endure all the pain Kilo is going through than be separated without the link. "Can you not cut it off when you're in pain?"