CHAPTER 31 | preparations

TIMELINE: ONE MONTH BEFORE KILO ESCAPES HADES

DEVYN'S POV

This is the first time in six years that I have slept without having nightmares. I stretch in tiny and open my eyes. A cool light washes the room and shines behind Denzyl, cresting his crimson head in a faint glow.

It takes a minute to register where I am and what has happened in the past few days. My hand reaches to my shoulder as I remember the mark and Denzyl saving me. My body shivers when I think about the demon, but Denzyl's touch reminds me that I am safe.

I bring my hand up under my head and use it as a pillow as I look at the man holding me. Why do I feel so safe when I am with you? I have never felt this way with anyone. Denzyl breathes in deeply as I timidly move a loose strand of hair out of his face.

"Good morning," his grey eyes open sleepily.

"Morning."

"Did you sleep okay?"

I nod. "Where are we?"

"My house. Don't worry. No one can get in."

"Mmm. How long were we in the crypt?"

"I don't know. It could be a few days to a few years."

"A few years?!" I sit up in the bed.

Denzyl looks at me, startled.

"My company! Oh, no. What would've happened if I was gone for a whole year?" I turn to face Denzyl. "Is there a way you could get me to Earth?"

He lets out a breath, "About that..." He does not get to finish as a loud rapping sounds from the floor below. Denzyl's eyes narrow, and his body grows tense. "Stay here," he tells me as he gets out of the bed.

I watch Denzyl leave the room and make his way downstairs before I silently creep to the doorway and peer around the edge. Denzyl walks to a screen mounted in the wall beside the door. The screen lights up to show a man and woman waiting outside with four men behind them.

"Denzyl, open up, baby. I know you're in there. Please?" The woman says.

Baby? Who's your baby?

Denzyl sighs before speaking through the screen, "Just you two. Leave your goons outside." Denzyl opens the door, and the man and woman enter.

The woman hugs Denzyl as soon as the door shuts. "You're finally back!"

Denzyl pats the woman's back until she lets go. "We need to talk, Denzyl," the man speaks up, his expression grave.

Denzyl nods in response and brings them to the couches in the living room just behind the door.

"Firstly, how did you end up in a soul crypt," the man asks.

"We were both dying. It was the only way to stay alive."

"I'm impressed you were even able to make a crypt; they are incredibly difficult," the man praises. "Ryiak has been going around saying you marked the human. Is this true?" He inquires.

Denzyl takes a moment before nodding his head. He is rewarded with a fearsome strike to the face. I cover my mouth with my hand to keep myself from making any sound.

"How could you mark a human?! And a sacrificial one at that!" The man yells as he stands to his feet to tower over his son.

I shrink away from the door at the man's terrifying voice.

"Klein! That's enough!" The woman speaks up.

"No! I will not have my son bonded with a human!"

"Klein, it is his choice! He can bond with whomever he wants." She turns from her husband to her son. "Where is he? Is he here?"

"No," Denzyl shakes his head. "He ran from me after I marked him."

His dad scoffs.

Wow. He is a good liar.

"Why did you mark him when he doesn't even want you?" His mother asks.

"I can't watch him get hurt. I will not let him be a sacrifice."

"That is not your decision to make," his father spits.

"Why not? I bought him from the dendrum with my money, and we never made it back for him to be marked as a sacrifice. He will not be used," Denzyl states firmly.

"You useless son! You're a disgrace!" The man backhands Denzyl before striking him again. "Do you know how long we waited for that boy? Fifty years! We had to get another one because you disappeared with him for fifty fucking years! I am not letting you take away another sacrifice."

Fifty years?! We were in the crypt for fifty years? I look at Denzyl. His face is stone cold as he glares at his father. Thankfully, the woman manages to pull the man off of Denzyl.

"Let's focus on finding the human first, okay? We'll bring them both to the elders and let them decide," his mother pleads with his father.

"I will kill you myself if we can't find him," the man threatens Denzyl.

So this is why he lives by himself.

Denzyl slumps into the couch as his father storms out followed by his mother. I race down the stairs after the door shuts and check the wounds on Denzyl's face.

"Do you have a first-aid kit?"

"There's one under the couch."

I duck my head under the couch and pull out a rectangular box. I retrieve the gauze and soak it in medicine. Denzyl does not wince as I dab the medicine on the wound next to his eye.

"You seem pretty familiar with this," Denzyl comments as I move to the cut on his cheek.

"I've had to patch myself up a few times." I finish up by putting small bandages over the wounds. "Why are you trying so hard to protect me?" I ask as I slide the kit back under the couch.

"You'll find out later. Right now, we need to get off Sendrum."

I nod in agreement. "How?"

"I have a hovercycle. If we can make it to the place where the dendrum land, we can pay for them to smuggle us to a planet with a space station."

"Ok. When do we need to leave?"

"In the next hour when everyone is searching for you."

Denzyl stands to his feet and leaves the couch. He selects a few weapons from a hidden safe before we head upstairs to change. Denzyl dresses me in a black outfit made up of a long-sleeved roll-neck, pants, and boots with a cap and face mask. He then puts both of us in black, leather jackets before leaving to find more equipment. I familiarize myself with the two guns and dagger Denzyl fits me with while he scurries about gathering supplies and money.

He meets me downstairs with two black backpacks. I take one from him and slip the straps over my shoulder. I wince as the strap settles on the bandaged mark, but, thankfully, Denzyl had turned around to check the camera outside the door so he did not see it. The crimson haired demon puts his cap on and loops the mask over his ears as he turns back around.

"Ready?"

I nod as loud, quick knocks sound on the door. Denzyl quickly steps in front of me and checks the screen.