Chapter - 25

[This chapter contains blood, violence, injury and death. Read at your own risk.]

Words: 5090

             'The strength is within you, not in the edges of your sword.'

  Jungkook remembered his mother saying. 

  He remembered how he used to get up before dawn and incessantly practiced sword fighting all morning, until his limbs gave up, until his veins popped out of his thin wrists, until his  
nails dug into his palms while clutching the hilt of his heavy sword. It was hard to please his beta mother. But Jungkook never gave up. His arms grew stronger like his determination in the process of making his mother smile. Two thick thighs were built to hold his body balance  and his shoulder muscles became stiff and tough like a shield; at the end of his teenage years, he became a warrior, no longer remained a lost prince. 

  "Jungkook, watch out!" Hoseok alerted his friend when he saw two of the King's swordsmen marching at Jungkook with open swords. 

  A quick glance at his back, Jungkook saw they'd come extremely close. He bent, aligned his body with his horse to avoid the collision. The swords swung over his body, almost touching his hair. 

  Raising up, he watched the soldiers turn their horses instantly for the second attack. 

  He split his attention.

  He threw his shield at the man on the left, saw him losing his balance and falling down from the horse.  With his right hand he drew back his sword and forced it forward at the other man's direction. His sword thrust inside the stomach and came out all red. 

  The horse carried its dead owner out of the battlefield. 

  Jungkook looked over his shoulder to where Hoseok was fighting ingeniously with a beta swordsman. Within seconds he saw how easily Hoseok pinned and  grounded that man effortlessly. Jungkook showed him a proud smile when his friend glanced back at him. Mouthing him a thanks, Jungkook moved his attention to a new subject.  

  Tackling an unending stream of enemies was not easy. And when the enemies were stronger, fierce, and skillful than the others'. Blood drained from both sides. The soil became red, wet, smeared. 

  The darkness of the night is offset by the full moon. The extra light helped the humans see clearly when they attacked from the riverside. More than eight hundred humans were making a strong shield with their bodies. They were usually the weakest of all creatures, but when they glued together, their unit became stronger than the werewolves. Eliminating the soldiers one by one, they moved towards the center.

  "Fake Jeoncena."

  Feeling something cold and sharp over the sensitive skin of his nape, a chill shivered up  Jungkook's spine, and he spun around. Saw Donghyun was pointing his sword at him, smirking. Eyes red, leveled with his. The sharp red edge of the blade was touching lightly the side of Jungkook's neck. 

  "You seem too weak to have a fight with me." Donghyun lifted his sword, it touched Jungkook's chin. 

  Jungkook remained  still. Breathing heavy. Unwinking.  It was not hard for him to shove his sword into Donghyun's  body as their horses came ranged, but he wanted to give him a chance. Just like Donghyun did by not stabbing him from the back. 

  The swords flashed silver moonlight when they clanged together. The metallic sounds overlapping the shouts of the hostile crowd. 

  Jungkook must admit Donghyun was a skillful fighter. His strong point was attacking aggressively, to outscore the opponent and make them feel weaker. His weakness was also his aggressiveness. As he paid no heed to his self defense.