Chapter - 1

[A/N: this story is set during the early half of 20th century. So there will be electricity but no telephone or television. Enjoy reading.]

Words: 3772

       'Is it bad to be dead? To whom it is bad? If death is a blessing, why do we fear it?  Why does it snatches away our souls, hopes end with it? Is death selfish?' 

All thoughts of revenge and ruling flew out of his head when Jungkook saw his mother was getting buried in front of his eyes, instead thoughts about life and death absorbed in his mind... However he had accepted the truth that his mother was dead, it was impossible for a dead person to come back alive, he thought if he were going to heaven afterlife, he would definitely search for his mother before his parents there.

It was just past midnight, A cool wind was rising, causing the tree leaves to whisper against each other. Not far, outside the graveyard a bonfire slicing the darkness inside the forest. Everything was clear as daylight, he could see everyone in the tribe surrounding the graveyard, but not his mother. He sighed, looking down.

The tribe leader told him to take some rest after the ritual but he denied. He said he was going to stay by her side just a little more. The old tribe leader didn't say anything more as he knew how much Jungkook's mother meant to him. They all left him there and went back to their separate huts to complete the night sleep. They were alive and their life must go on.

Jungkook waited until the bonfire burned all the logs and hay into fine ashes. His tired eyes were sore; dark circles beneath them, senses numb, his throat was dry and his heart was burning. KIM TAEJOO---his soul screamed. They killed his parents, they took away his family and land, so the war was already declared even before he knew anything.

When he entered his cold dark empty hut, a sudden pang of pain hit his chest- he felt so alone, orphan. He took his mother's wooden comb in his hand, slowly rubbed his thumb over the handle, trying to ease the pain smelling her fresh bread scent.

Abruptly, he remembered his mother's last words: 'Don't let them know who you are and run away from here.'

In quick hands he packed one set of his clothes and some handy everyday things. They didn't have much money and his destination was far so he took his mother's gold ring; the only expensive thing they had before coming out of the hut.

It was the grey half-light before dawn and Jungkook could clearly see where he was going. His heart was beating rapidly, but he wasn't feeling excited. He was leaving behind the mountain where he spent all of his childhood and a part of his youth. He turned and glanced at the sleeping village for the last time, then ran towards his uncertain destiny.

It took him one and a half days to reach the city. He was tired of walking all the way, resting only when he couldn't walk, it was so insufficient that his thighs became numb. He gazed up at the sky, the afternoon sun was just radiating its last warmth, his face glowed under the red beam. His grey cotton hanbok became dusty and crumpled because of this long journey and his hair was like a mama bird just created a nest for laying eggs.

Remembering his mother, he took a long breath and entered the city with a new determination.

The city around the palace was situated beside a river, which was the main source of their everyday used water. The royal palace was at the middle of this vast city area, the tower inside the main palace could be seen anywhere from the city. The zigzag streets were devious and walls made of stone and brick separating the streets from the mansions. Many men and women dressed in ridiculously glamorous dresses were all over the streets, merrily strolling along holding hands or colourful hand fans made of silk and lace. There were some beggars and poor people with wrinkles could be found around the market but Jungkook wasn't paying attention to any of them. His stomach was growling with hunger and he only had some bucks in his pocket which wasn't enough to buy food for three days.