He was exceedingly gentle with his lovemaking, but that didn't make it any less passionate. Afterwards, their damp naked bodies clung together as they recovered from the intensity of their intimacy.

Taryn shook the cobwebs of this memory from her head as she reached on the top shelf and took down a form-fitting black sweater with a deep V neck. She pulled it on and put on some low black boots with a decent heel. Then she went to the guest room closet and found the witch hat she'd bought eons ago. Putting it on her head, she looked at herself in the dresser mirror and smiled. She didn't look half bad, though she definitely needed a some dramatic makeup to complete the ensemble, which she applied in her bathroom.

Down in the kitchen, she took a large bowl from the cabinet and poured several big bags of Halloween candy inside it. She wrote "TAKE ONE" on a notecard and taped it to the side and placed it on the front porch. It was inevitable that some greedy kid would dump the entire thing in their trick-or-treat bag, but at least she tried. After letting Hen out to pee, she got in her SUV and headed east.

Aaliyah was standing in her parents' spectacularly decorated front yard taking photos of her three children when her former sister-in-law pulled into the driveway. "Shit," she muttered under her breath. She'd completely forgotten that she'd talked to her about coming by to see the kids dressed up for Halloween.

"Hi!" Taryn called out to them. "You three look incredible! Can your aunt take some photos, too?"

Aaliyah hurried over to her. "Don't freak out, but-" she was unable to finish because the front door swung open and Shawn stepped out carrying Piper in his arms.

"-Shawn's here," Taryn completed the sentence.

He looked as surprised by her appearance as she was by his. "Hey," he said weakly as he tried not to gawk at her, which was difficult given how sexy she looked.

Piper pointed to Taryn and giggled. "Dog! Da. Dog!"

"Yes, sweetie. I know you remember the doggy," Shawn told his precocious offspring.

"I didn't know you were in town," Taryn said curtly, lest he think she was there to see him.

"I totally forgot you said you'd stop by tonight," Aaliyah told Taryn apologetically.

"It's fine." She reached into her car and pulled out a huge bouquet of fall flowers that she'd picked up on the way. "These are for your folks. Are they inside?"

"They are just finishing up their costumes," Shawn said. "They'll be out in a sec."

Taryn busied herself by taking pictures of the kids while Shawn stood awkwardly to the side holding his daughter. Piper was dressed as a fox, and she looked darling in a the orange one-piece hooded romper with pointed ears and a fluffy tail.

Karen and Manny made a grand entrance wearing matching zombie costumes. When they saw Taryn, a flicker of surprise passed over each of their faces, though they managed to not make a big deal out of it because that would only make things more uncomfortable.

"Happy anniversary," Taryn said as she handed Karen the bouquet.

"Thank you, love. It's good to see you! Can I get you a glass of wine?"

"I'm actually headed to Ford's, but I promised Aaliyah over a month ago that I'd come by to see the kiddos. I should get going."

"So soon?" Manny asked. "The sun is starting to set. You've got to stick around to see these decorations at night! I spent two weekends on this yard and you always loved my efforts in the past."

"Okay," she agreed. "Anything for you, Manny."

Jordan joined them and then the family of five set off down the street to trick-or-treat. Manny and Karen got caught up in a conversation with their neighbors, which left the divorced couple alone.

Taryn turned to Shawn. "How have you been?"

"Good. Piper turned one a couple weeks ago. That was exciting."

"Me!" Piper squawked as she pointed to herself.

"Happy belated birthday," Taryn said with a smile.

"Dog!" she replied as she reached out to Taryn.

"She remembers Hendrix," Shawn explained. "And I think she likes you."

The baby strained forward, making it clear that she wanted her friend to hold her. Unable to resist, Taryn took her in her arms. "Is that better, little one?"

Piper touched Taryn's cheek, which had become an expression of affection for her.

"How are you?" Shawn asked.

"I'm doing okay. Work is the same as always. I try to spend a lot of time with my mom since she's lonely."

"I was hoping to visit her while I'm here. Do you think she'd mind?"

"Of course not."

"Dog!" Piper exclaimed again.

Against her better judgement, Taryn asked, "Did you want to see Hendrix?"

This was a stupid suggestion, considering what had happened last time, but Hen was Shawn's dog and his daughter had formed an attachment. Besides, if she was going to move on, she had to be able to interact with him in a cordial manner. If she avoided him, that proved that she was still clinging to the past.

"You sure?"

"Yes, but no talking," she warned.

He smirked. "So I can come over, but I'm not allowed to say a single word to you?"

His wicked smile was just as disarming as it had ever been and she felt her cheeks grow hot. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do, and I'm sorry about last time. I promise it won't happen again."