He'd always been so repulsed but the concept of men hitting on their children's nannies, and it happened so frequently that it was almost a cliché.

"We are not looking for live-in help except on the rare occasion that we're both away," Yaz stated. "I'm returning to full-time employment next week and Shawn primarily works from home, though obviously he can't watch Piper and be as productive as needed. We were thinking that when I'm gone, you'd come in three days a week. We're offering a salary that covers five days, since that seems fair."

He added, "There's a possibility of traveling. If we find someone who is both wonderful with Piper and who we get along with as well, then we might request that they come for part of my next tour. All expenses would be paid and the salary would double during that period."

"Oh my gosh! I'd love to go on tour with you! I bet it's so fun!" Heather squealed.

Yasmin and Shawn exchanged a look before she stood up. "Thanks so much for coming by today. We'll let the agency know within the next week," she said.

"You didn't ask me very many questions."

"I think we got all the information we need," Shawn told her as they walked to the door. Once she'd driven away, he sighed. "She was the worst one yet."

"Poor girl was positively starstruck when she saw you. I definitely don't want a nanny who is hot for my husband."

"She was staring at me too much. I swear I caught her looking at my crotch."

"I don't blame her for being curious, but that's rude. We've got one last person to speak to and then we need to move on to a new agency. This one came highly recommended, but I'm starting to question their reviews," Yaz said.

"Maybe some people aren't as discerning when it comes to childcare."

Their final candidate rang the doorbell ten minutes after the appointment time. When Shawn opened the door, she looked flustered. "I'm so sorry that I'm late. My car got a flat on 101 and I could only go forty miles per hour with the spare."

"It's okay. Do you want me to call my car service to come fix the flat for you?" he asked.

"I already booked an appointment at a tire center in Santa Barbara, so no thanks. I just wish I'd been able to change the tire faster and not be late." She stepped into the foyer and took off her shoes. "After standing on the side of the road, I don't want to get dirt on your nice white floors."

"Oh, thanks. Come to the living room. My wife is there with our one year old."

"I know this is rude, but can I bother you for some water?"

"That's not rude at all. Take a seat and I'll get it," he said.

Yaz extended a hand. "Hello, Rosie. I'm Yasmin Fields. You met my husband Shawn Mendes already."

"We didn't make introductions because I was babbling about my flat tire," she said as she took a glass of ice water from Shawn. "It's lovely to meet both of you. Who is this sweetie playing on the floor?"

"That's Piper," Yaz told her.

Rosie set her glass on a coaster on the coffee table after drinking half of it and got down on the white rug with the baby. "Hello, Piper. Do you like books."

Piper nodded before picking up her favorite zoo animal book and handing it to the young woman.

"Maybe after I talk to your mommy and daddy I can read this to you."

The baby responded by crawling onto Rosie's lap and pulling herself into a standing position. She then reached up and touched her new friend's cheek.

Shawn looked at Yaz and smiled. This was the first person they'd interviewed that took a genuine interest in Piper.

"You've got quite a list of references," Yaz said as she perused Rosie's paperwork. "You just moved here from Oregon?"

"Yes, a month ago. My great aunt lives north of Parma Park and I came down to help her recover from knee replacement surgery. I love the area so much that I decided to stay, and thankfully there seems to be a good market for childcare providers."

"Your resumé says that you studied early childhood development," Shawn observed.

"I did, and I'm also CPR and first aid certified. Oh! And I'm fluent in Spanish and would happily do an immersion program if you were interested in that."

They talked for another fifteen minutes and then Rosie read several books to Piper.

"When are you available, if we decide this is a good fit?" Yaz asked as Rosie got ready to leave.

"That's the only hitch. I'm obligated to my great aunt for another three weeks, so not until after then. I suppose she could find someone else to help her, but I'm pretty serious about keeping commitments once I make them."

After he walked their prospective caregiver out, Shawn returned to Yaz and smiled. "She was amazing! Did you notice she didn't even comment about who we are?"

"Right? So down to earth! She's also smart and kind and loving! The fact that she's not available right away is a bummer, but we can make due until then, can't we?"

He nodded. "Yeah. In the meantime I can work when she naps or at night. It's actually a positive quality that she's remaining loyal to her great aunt. I can't fault her for that."

"I agree. I'm going to contact the agency now and let them know we want to hire her. I'm afraid that if we wait she'll get snatched up by another family!"

Shawn got on the floor with his daughter after Yaz went into his office to make the call. "Did you like Rosie? She's nice, eh? Next month she'll be here a lot and will play with you and maybe even teach you some Spanish!"

Piper read the excitement in his voice and clapped her hands.

"It'll be just you and me for a few weeks." A thought occurred to him. "Maybe we'll take another trip to Toronto while your mama is in Italy. Would you like to see our family again?"

The baby giggled in response.