"I think it's sweet that you want to do that," he said with a grin.

When they walked in her room, her head popped up and she smiled.

"You were born a year ago, Pippy!" Yasmin said happily.

"Happy birthday, princess!" Shawn added before picking his daughter up and kissing her.

A diaper change was in order, and then they got Piper dressed, though she'd switch into another outfit later for her party. They brought her to the kitchen where they found Shawn's parents having coffee at the counter island.

"There's the birthday girl!" Manny said enthusiastically.

"I was thinking I'd make some pancakes," Karen told everyone. "I saw there's a pint of blueberries in the fridge."

"Sounds good to me," Shawn replied as he put Piper in her high chair.

After breakfast, Yasmin called the zoo to review all the details for the party. It was being held after-hours so that they'd have the whole place to themselves. They were arriving at five and then the guests would show up half an hour later.

Shawn took his mum and dad on a driving tour of Montecito later that day while the baby napped and Yaz filled the goodie bags. When they got home, he gave Piper a bath and changed her into the adorable zebra striped dress her Aunt Aaliyah had sent for the occasion. His sister's family wanted to come, but between school and the kids' activities, it wasn't possible.

Eventually it was time to go to the zoo, so they all got in Shawn's large Mercedes and drove the short distance. The party planner had everything under control, so there wasn't much for them to do. Yasmin made sure the caterers had everything correct and Shawn entertained Piper who seemed eager to see the animals.

As the guests arrived, a professional photographer took commemorative photos of each person by the zoo entrance. They'd invited all their local friends, which meant lots of models and people in the music industry. Yaz had also extended an invitation to everyone in the "Mommy and Baby" yoga class she went to every other week, so some of the attendees were close to Piper's age.

The party started with dinner, which was an assortment of adult and child friendly foods from around the world, since the zoo animals were from all the different continents. The tables were decorated in bright colors with large paper mâché animals serving as centerpieces. Everyone enjoyed the food and there was a lot of lively conversation among the adults.

Once they were done eating, the guests were divided into smaller groups and were led on guided behind-the-scenes tours by the zookeepers.

"This is fantastic," Shawn commented to Yaz as he pushed the stroller towards the next stop.

"I hope the photographer is taking lots of candids. Piper won't remember today, so it's essential that it's all documented for her."

"She's having a blast, and that's what matters."

Piper clapped her little hands and laughed as they pulled up to the elephants.

When they tours were done, it was time for dessert. They'd found a specialty bakery that created a small-scale replica of the zoo with tiny fondant animals.

Manny leaned towards his wife and whispered, "That cake probably cost more than our first car."

"And this party cost more than a year of payments on our first apartment. Shawn didn't used to be so extravagant."

"They've got the money, so they might as well enjoy it."

Karen suspected that going over the top had not been her son's idea.

Shawn walked over to them with two slices of cake. "Did you see Piper dig into her piece? She loved it!"

"She's had a fun evening. Think she'll be awake enough to open her family gifts when we get back to your house?" his mum asked.

"Considering she just ate more sugar than she's had in her entire life, I'm gonna say yes," he said with a chuckle.

They'd asked that their guests make a donation to a wildlife charity in lieu of presents, but of course she was getting some from her family. Piper was wide awake to open them, though she was more excited about the bows and paper than what was inside. By the time Shawn and Yaz tucked her in bed, they were just as exhausted as their baby.

"This was a really nice day," he told everyone once they got settled on the patio with drinks.

"It'll be hard to top that party next year!" Bill said as he slapped his son-in-law on the back.

Yasmin nodded. "We need to start planning earlier for her second birthday. Where could we have it?"

"My vote is for an old school birthday party here at our house with a handful of other kids. We want to keep her grounded, so why go all out every year?" Shawn said, confirming his mom's suspicions.

Yaz smiled at him. "You're right. Maybe we can do a big party every other year, and something simple in between."

He knew that her idea of simple probably wasn't the same as his, but he appreciated that she was willing to compromise.

Later that night, after the Chesterfields left and his parents went to bed, the couple cuddled on a lounge chair by the pool.

"I'm so glad we have Pippy," Yaz said drowsily. "Today was kind of a celebration for us, too. We made it through a year of parenthood."

It wasn't long before her soft snores vibrated against his chest. He picked his phone up from the side table and posted several photos from Piper's party on his socials. He couldn't help but wonder if a certain person would end up seeing them.