Chapter 2: A Funny Feeling

Start from the beginning

I gasped after throwing the garments on. It was tight, but not uncomfortable. The slick material was rich and delicate across my skin despite the scandalous look. I felt more empowered than a cliche for some reason...but it was still missing something.

"Well, this is definitely something," I said giving my best smile.

"AHHHHHHHH! So beautiful! What's your name? I must know!"

"It's Raine..." I blushed.

"Ahhh, Raine. Rain is powerful and loud. But rain is water and water is pure. SUCH A GOOD FIT I LOVE IT," he started biting his nails in excitement. His voice lowered with such admiration. "You are so worth that outfit."

I didn't know what that meant but I did at the same time. I glanced in the mirror again rubbing my arms. I did feel like a city girl but maybe 'city girl' wasn't me. "Do you have a cover or anything that goes over this? It doesn't have to hide the outfit."

He held his chin in deep concentration. Then he snapped again. "Got it. I'm getting mysterious vibes from you too. Those eyes will say 'worship me bitch' but the coat will say 'I'm only here for business." The pitch of his voice moved eloquently to match the character he spoke and I was there for it. I covered my mouth to muffle my giggles as he disappeared to the back of the store with a dramatic exit.

I checked my watch.

There's time to explore the city before midnight and there had to be a forest around here.

I let out a breath as he came back with a long tanned coat with buttons. "Now, I really feel like I have a purpose," I said snuggled inside.

"Don't be silly, of course, you do. I can hardly recognize the woman that came into this very shop."

I tossed my hair up in a messy bun and smirked thinking how people would look at me differently. I felt I could move through this city with more determination. To get the answers I needed after this election.

"Just wear it out and I'll rack you up at the register," he hummed. I showed him my Hunter's License for a discount and he gasped as if I'd struck him in the chest. "Oh my, a hunter too? I knew it. Something fierce was blazing from your heart," he sang as he checked the payment out.

Something relieving settled in my chest. His personality couldn't be any more uplifting. "Thank you," I waved walking out.

"My name is Gunther so if you ever need anything else come back! I'm already brainstorming more outfits!"

A let out a deep breath eyeing the sky above. My hands dug into the pockets of the coat as a crisp breeze wafted by.

See...their auras aren't that bad. My body can take it.

I spent the day exploring every inch of the city until I dropped my stuff at a hotel. It was approaching midnight and I headed towards the election building. My hair frizzed wildly and untamed as ever, my spirit full of determination to be stronger.

And hopefully, I can find Gon so we can train. The stronger the opponent the better the experience.

My heels clicked walking into the building and I immediately felt a surge of ambitious aura all around me. People had a stiff look and dressed professionally. More sophisticated than I saw on the streets. There were some stares at me but I was hoping I was fitting in just fine. Going up the elevator, bits and pieces of tension plucked at my skin which mostly came from the employees and chair committee. It would be expected for this place to be busy. Office buildings also seemed to have cold air. My skin rummaged with goosebumps, even under the long coat. The sheer brittleness couldn't have been the air...but maybe a person. I took note of it and tossed it to the back of my thoughts.

I entered the auditorium to see a long line of hunters. White walls, grey chairs, a stage, and a small breeze of many scents flooded my nose. I could tell a lot of people didn't want to be here. My eyes searched the candidates, the zodiac members. Not a moment passed before I knew who I wanted to vote for, seeing their true colors. I didn't care much for politics but rather their pure intentions.

It wasn't until I stood in line for a while that a strange aura burned through the back of my head. It was so sudden that I paused, unsure if someone did it on purpose knowing I'd sense them. I narrowed my eyes.

Watching me...but won't say something.

At the peak of tension, my body jolted. Their words boomed from the aura with a hidden passion, "ninety-nine points!"

What? What does that mean?

I pressed my lips together.

I'm not being watched. I'm being studied.

My senses sharpened alerted as the aura gave off something mysterious and dark, their humor and deception thick. A man. I didn't have to see the colors of this guy to know he was dangerous. It was heavy, patting my back. Playing.

Humor? He's... smiling...laughing at me? I'm amusing?

His aura was so 'loud' as if it was pressed against my ear. I'm still a bit away from the voting box. I wanted to observe this guy. I wanted to know what he was thinking. But a moment later, I relaxed. Perhaps it was just a man's ego.

That mere arrogant feeling again...but that's a lot coming from one person.

I glanced at the clock.

Maybe I can intimidate him. He's strong. I'm stronger. I have to be.

It almost felt like we were the only two people in the room. The sickening waft of energy continued to caress my back.

He knows I sensed him.

I slowly turned around.

Who does this person think they are? And why?

I acknowledged him, maintaining an even expression. Just a peak out of interest.

We made eye contact. A slight surprise caught my face followed by chills but I quickly stuffed it down. A pale muscular man sat in the audience chairs with sharp orange hair, a teardrop shape on one cheek, and a star shape on the other. He had coils of indigo material on his wrists and neck. A black clover and heart on his white cropped shirt. Rich earrings dangled elegantly. But the first thing I noticed was his eyes. Golden and hungry.

His face gave off 'oh hello' but I felt like a toy. His smirk screamed arrogant. His posture was relaxed yet excited. His body composed, but his aura was untamed. Still, his intimidation beamed heavily as his dark aura echoed, 'killing you would be so much fun.'

That made my anger rise a bit but I only showed it in my eyes. How could someone look down on me when this is our first encounter?

I stared at him back.
I stared straight through him.
I stared into his soul.

Just a small game of alpha, that I almost wanted to challenge. He didn't know who I was, and I wondered if even mother would try to best him. I didn't deserve to be looked at like this. After another long five seconds, when I thought he would cave in, he licked his lips.

My eyes hinted disgust before I realized his intentions ran much deeper than this staring contest. An emotion that plummeted inside his heart. A color I had never seen before. This was a different type of game I had already signed up for by acknowledging him. The type of aura this person had was more dangerous than I thought and it could take a heavy toll on me if he found my weaknesses.

My glare burned through him once more before I gave a soft smile and turned back around. It was just another selfish person in this city. He'll fine something better to do I'm sure.

I had never lost a fight with my foresight and I was open to gaining more experience. But until then, I couldn't pay any mind when I had a mission to start. Entertaining him might only make things worse. I dropped my vote in the box and made my way towards the exit without a glance back at him. He would be interesting to fight one day.

But little did I know it would be so soon...

-