"What are you doing here?", I asked. I knew Lilian was just there if something serious had happened. She was the type to vanish into thin air after accomplishing her mission or something she really wanted to do.

"It's... a long story, Zero. I'll tell you later but right now Elle is -" She stilled as she glanced towards my soulmate. So Elle was her name. Her trembling didn't seem to stop and the tons of tears just kept rolling down her chin.

"I wanna go home," her small voice whispered as she looked me straight in the eyes. And in that moment a strong surge of emotions swept over me again. Something inside of me just longed to fulfill her wish but I tried to stay calm and glanced at Lilian.

"I don't know what she's doing here but take her home. This isn't a place for her." I saw Elle anxiously biting her lip as she listened to me.

"You aren't dumb, Zero. You should know that she isn't here for nothing." Lilian suddenly stated. "She can't leave anymore."

My fists balled as she said that. "What do you mean she can't leave?"
Slight irritation crossed my mind. I never wanted to meet my soulmate and bring her into all this mess. It was never my intention. So why the hell was she here?

Lilian only sighed. "You know exactly what I mean. When you took her back then, they noticed and I guess, someone had her on the radar ever since. And then yesterday... Too many things happened, Zero. It's complicated." A regretful expression crossed her face. "She's one of us now."

The air around me started to feel tight as this sentence seemed to hit right into my guts.

No.

I stared at Lilian, then at Elle whose gaze still didn't shift away from me. Her tears had stopped and instead of that, a blank expression was replacing her former sad one.

I hated that look on her face and immediately strided towards her. "Elle."
She didn't react but just stood there. I pressed my lips tightly shut as I watched her. I hated this blank look on her.

"Wake the fuck up.", I said while Lilian suddenly stepped in front of her with a shocked expression, hindering me from getting through.
"What are you saying, Zero, she just -"

"She just what?" Anger seethed through my mind. I couldn't comprehend why my soulmate was right in front of me. I just couldn't. It shouldn't have been like this. Meeting her shouldn't have ever happened in the first place.

"I just died." Suddenly, a small whisper came out from Elle's lips. I halted in my tracks as I watched her. The hazel of her eyes bored themselves into mine and even if they still looked painfully empty, she repeated it again.

"I just died." It sounded even weaker than her first whisper.

And then it happened. Like someone just pressed down onto a certain button, her eyes suddenly rolled back and she fell.

* * *

Elle's POV

It was noon when I finally opened my eyes. I needed to blink a few times to finally get used to the few sunrays which shone down from the window above my head. Where am I?

My throat felt hoarse, like I haven't had water for several days and my limbs felt like they were glued to the mattress I was laying on but I fought my way up until I was now sitting on the bed.

My eyes slowly wandered around the room. It had a decent size and even looked kind of cute. The walls were painted in a soft dusky pink while the furniture was made out of a dark wooden material which almost seemed black.