Chapter 04

After enduring my professor's endless lecture, I made my way to the cafeteria. I would have actually hung out with Jess, however she told me that she didn't have any classes for today. And because of the fact that I didn't really have any other friends, I was just going to buy a sandwich and find a quiet place to read a book.

Plowing myself through the hallway, I saw some people from my old highschool chatting loudly in front of the lockers.
"Did you hear? Matt just vanished after the party.", one girl said.
"Someone told me he decided to drop out of college." Someone laughed.
"But so suddenly? That doesn't even make any sense."

"It really doesn't", another girl agreed. "I mean, he had everything here and never said that he would just literally disappear like this."
"Maybe he eloped with his mysterious soulmate?" The group started to giggle.

Not being further interested in their childish talk, I turned around a corner just to arrive at the cafeteria. After paying for the sandwich, I immediately walked into the direction of my favorite place on campus. Most people never came here as it was kind of hidden behind the college's little garden.

Small benches and wooden tables which someone painted in a soft white color, were placed next to a line of planted saplings and flowers, making it almost seem kind of sweet and romantic. I finally took a seat and sighed as the soft spring breeze rustled through my hair. It was quiet.

And to be honest, I haven't felt at peace like this since the past week. Thoughts of the encounter at the party and the weird dream afterwards were still wandering through my mind but I tried to ignore them by studying sufficiently or just watching some movies at home.
As I started to take out my book, I heard some light foot steps approaching me and looked up.

A girl - not older than I was - stepped through the sandy path, walking into my direction. But as she realized that there was someone staring at her, she halted in her tracks. Her round green eyes shifted nervously.
"Oh... I'm sorry, I actually didn't want to bother you... You know... Normally there isn't anyone here except for me, so...", a small soft voice. It suited her overall look.

The brown hair which was put into a neat side braid, the golden frame of her glasses which gave off a librarian's vibe and her decent flowery dress. She started to look uneasy and fumbled at the little frills of her clothes as I just stared at her without an answer. I soon snapped out of it. Damn, I really have that weird habit to just stare at people.

"That's no problem - just sit down next to me or something." I finally said and put on a reassuring smile which she immediately returned. Her whole face seemed to light up.
"Thank you", she said, her emerald eyes twinkling through her glasses, and took a seat next to me.

I started to read my book. However, afte some time passed, I noticed how she looked at me. Or rather - she looked at my book's cover. It was actually a present which I got from Jess. It was an absolute must for her that I also read a romantic story about soulmates, so I only did it for her sake.

"Do you know this book?" I asked her. Her round eyes shot up in surprise as she didn't anticipate that I would actually talk to her.
"Actually yes... I read it a long time ago.", she said as a warm smile formed on her lips.
"You must have liked it a lot." I looked at the book's cover again. Two people standing romantically near each other, while the dark blue night sky unfolded behind them. Only the outlines of their fine silhouettes could be seen.

The girl only nodded while her smile turned reminiscent. "Do you believe in them? I mean, soulmates." She finally asked after a while.

Definitely not.

"To be honest... not really." I carefully said. "I only got this book as a present."
"Oh... I see. How come you don't believe in them?" Her eyes twinkled with curiosity. There were no traces of her nervosity from before anymore. She seemed like the type to enjoy reading all this romantic stuff but also did not mind my lack of interest in it.