Chapter 09

I didn't know for how long I've run already but it seemed like the corridor was never-ending. A little bit more and I would have been completely out of breath. I really regretted not listening to my aunt to do some daily exercises.

It felt like the echoing of my loud foot steps was the only thing which resounded from the walls, resulting in some students looking at me weirdly as I passed them. I probably seemed like a total maniac right now but I honestly didn't care. I was still in shock about how his voice could be in my head. Was it only my imagination? But how could that possibly be?

I slightly groaned and felt frustrated. At this point, I didn't even know where I was anymore. I was standing in a complete unknown annex. Naturally, it was still a part of the campus - however, this college was way too grande to know each and every corner of it. I sighed and slowly halted as I finally reached an empty hallway. It was completely unfamiliar to me but I just couldn't manage to run any further anymore.

I halted while supporting myself at a nearby pillar and tried to calm my breath. This whole thing was just insane. I still couldn't grasp the whole situation and wondered if that has really happened earlier. Especially that voice in my head. Maybe I was just hearing things because I was in some sort of shock? Because it was such a tense atmosphere back then?

I tightly pressed my lips together. Was I really just hallucinating or something? I really didn't know.
There was no time to come up with a plausible answer as a sudden surge of pain hit me in my stomach. Not again. I groaned while my body automatically bent over. It felt like an invisible force was punching me right in the guts, robbing the air out of my lungs.

And like the heavens thought that this wasn't enough already, a sudden sensation started to crawl up inside of me, overwhelming me completely. I felt like I couldn't ever get a break.
But then, as that sensation spread out further and further, I realized what it was. Anger. However, it wasn't mine.

"But it's familiar...", I whispered to myself as my thoughts wandered back to that one dream I had about Zero. It was the same kind of anger which I felt back then. The same sick sensation which seemed to engulf one's mind, clinging onto one's every thought. I shuddered and slowly shut my eyes while taking a deep breath.

These were unnecessary feelings. Feelings I didn't need. Feelings which weren't mine. It was just a sickness. And as I started to calm down, I felt how my head gradually cleared. Just like I pushed one button - everything vanished.

The pain, the tightening feeling - everything. I calmly exhaled. It felt freeing. However, Zero's words still bothered me to some extent. He said something about me being his soulmate. What complete bullshit. I sighed as I started to look around the place I was at, trying to find the next exit.

I passed a clock above me, when I suddenly realized that I had already missed my lecture. It was a real surprise that I was still in a state in which I could think about that. As I looked ahead, I finally spotted a door which was marked as "Exit" in bright green letters. Not wasting even a second, I quickly made my way towards it as I suddenly heard a thud behind me.

I abruptly whirled around, just when another thud appeared - this time a bit louder. The hallway was empty. There was also no one at the window - so where did it come from? I slowly stepped back, still eyeing my surroundings suspiciously.

Then suddenly - it happened. A huge window shattered with a loud bang, causing broken glass to pierce through the whole hallway in a dazzling speed, daggering the paintings and ripping them off the walls. My breath got caught in my throat as I immediately stumbled behind a corner. What the hell was that? My hands started to tremble, unable to grasp the situation.