Chapter 18

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains descriptions of violence and blood which may not be suitable for some readers. Proceed with caution or kindly skip, please.

____

"Now left hook, right hook and duck!"

Zero stood at the sidelines while I was learning to fight some guy named Phil. One year had passed since I got into this organization and every day was just the same. Waking up, training, meal time, college classes and training again.

All this time around, Zero's attitude towards me just didn't change. Although he was assigned to take care of me and even had to move his old dorm room towards the one next to mine - they were orders from above - he still remained cold.

I knew he didn't like me becoming an agent and also knew he hated the fact of me being his soulmate. But really, it's not like I chose this.

The only thing I wanted all these months, was to go back to my family. However, it was high likely that I became SKIA's target now, so wherever I went to, they would follow - at least this was what people from the rebellion told me.

It apparently happened before. A soulmate from the organization missing his family and secretly visiting them. I got told that it went very awry. The whole family was annihilated by SKIA the day after and the soulmate was never seen again.

It sounded like a tragic story someone used in a book or movie and I just couldn't wrap my mind around it that something like this really happened. SKIA made it possible to wipe off the whole family's identities, as well - as if their whole existence had been a lie until the day they died.

It was horrible, indeed. But then again, I didn't know if this was just one of the horror stories they tell the newcomer's, so that they won't escape. I didn't know how things worked around here yet which is why I couldn't really exclude this possibility.

"Focus!", the guy in front of me said as I dodged his fast fists. I narrowed my eyes.
"Don't worry about that," I said as I quickly swerved to the right, turned on my heel and hit his side with a flying kick. As Phil started to crumble, I immediately wiped him off his feet by hooking my foot with his ankle.

He fell to the ground and looked at me - shocked. I just sighed as I stretched out my hand to help him up.
"You can fight this well already?", he exclaimed in disbelief. It was the first time I was fighting him, so he didn't know that I had been practising all these techniques since childhood already.

Even if people knew, they still looked down on my small and thin frame. But well, that was simply their fault.

My mom was actually of Half-Asian descent while my dad came from England. So she taught me how to fight many Asian fighting techniques she got to know from our grandpa from early on. Even my brother and dad got to learn it from her.

After my parents died, my aunt Mary who was my mom's sister continued to teach us, so that we would always be able to protect ourselves. Seemed like this came in handy now.

"Looks like it," I answered as I shrugged my shoulders. When I glanced at Zero I saw a slight sense of satisfaction in his eyes but it quickly vanished and got replaced by the usual cold expression again.

Phil was pretty delighted when he realized I had a high level of skill in fighting. "So you really do a mixture of all these techniques? Who taught you?" He respectfully patted my shoulders as he grinned brightly.

I lightly smiled back as I answered. "My mom and aunt." A pang went through my chest as I thought about them. No matter how long I've been here already, the pain still felt far too fresh. Whenever someone mentioned something as near as family and friends, my mood immediately turned sullen.